What is a "Open DNS Server" and How Do I Fix It? RRS feed

• Question

• I just got a notice from my hosting company stating the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

********has been notified that the server you are running within SeiMaxim network with the IP: ****** is running an open DNS server.
    Even though this is not an illegal practice, it is not recommended as malicious individuals can abuse it to perform Ddos attacks which can generate a lot of traffic which can lead to a bandwidth surcharge and abuse complaints. Therefore ****** wants her customers to remove open DNS server. Open DNS server is not allowed on VPS So please remove it and inform us immediately.

If we can be of any more assistance, please don't hesitate to get back in contact.

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd try asking here about requirements.

https://www.seimaxim.com/clients/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Guido Franzke Tuesday, May 26, 2020 6:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Guido Franzke Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:34 AM
    Monday, May 25, 2020 6:46 PM
  • All they said was:

Are you running any DNS server in your VPS? If yes, please remove/disable it in Windows Server OS in VPS. This can generate DDoS attacks on our network and can cause considerable damage to our infrastructure.

If we can be of any more assistance, please don't hesitate to get back in contact.

---

My response: I host websites so disabling DNS is not an option.

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:59 PM
  • Sounds like they're asking you to use some other DNS. SeiMaxim is not a microsoft product. I'd try asking here about requirements.

https://www.seimaxim.com/clients/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 25, 2020 7:03 PM