ExportXmlAction failed RRS feed

  • Question


    Percy Stephansen posted his error log on the CRM help forums .  He received the above error while doing a CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 upgrade.


    I encountered the same error at a client today.    The Dianostic wizard passed with "Green across the board" success but upon excecution of the upgrade process there is an immediate error of:


    Action Microsoft.CRM.Setup.Server.ExportXmlAction Failed.

    Server was unable to process request.


    The installation log shows that the proces could not be run.


    I did notice that the client software on the 3.0 desktop client was still
    trying to access the web site so we eliminated that traffice because it was
    causing timeouts to the web service.

    But I still received the error that you have below.

    But looking at the errorlog we "Guessed" that it was deep in the bone

    It turned out the the "Installation account" used in the CRM 3.0 deployment
    was not being used in the upgrade. That account had be reduced in its

    We gave it the correct access to both the SQL server and the web server and
    the install went right through.

    If you can't remember what account was used to install 3.0 it should be in
    the databases or the first administrative account.

    It worked for me today.



    Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:30 AM


  • Ensure that the user upgrading your system is member of the domain admin group and also CRM system administrator.



    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:30 AM