Possible to remove main drive? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS consists of two drives, an 80GB and a 160GB. Since I was running WHS as a trial, I wanted to make sure it was compatible with my hardware before I went full bore (or is it boar..;-) ).

Now that I know WHS is here to stay for me, I purchased 2x500GB drives. What I was hoping to do was add one of the 500's to the mix, use the WHS console tool to 'remove' the other two, then add the second 500. In looking at console, the 80GB is the primary (OS installed) drive. I have the ability to remove the 160GB but not the 80.

Is there a way for the OS to move all the data from the 80 to one of my other drives so it can be removed? Worst case is reinstall the OS...but it would take me about a day to get it all set back up and the data pushed back up (which I was hoping to avoid). :-/
    Friday, January 18, 2008 3:34 PM

Answers

• It's a bit late now, but the recommended way of replacing your system drive is to shut down, physically replace the system drive with a new drive connected in the same way (leaving all other drives connected), and do a server reinstallation.

If you want to move from 2 small drives to 2 large drives, you'll probably find it easier to install from scratch on the 2 large drives, then copy your files from the old small drives. (Warning: don't connect your old system drive directly to your WHS. You're likely to have problems if you do so.) You'll find your files on the drives in <driveletter>:/DE/Shares/etc.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:56 PM

All replies

• from my understanding of how WHS works in a multi disk environment, you can essentially just swap out the 80gig and perform a reinstallation (NOT a new installation), this will then not touch the other drives and rebuild the D: data partition from the other drive, but I am not entirely sure how the duplication might work in only a two disk setup, presume that it would still be ok to lose one copy and rebuild from the other drive.

The general idea of the Drive Extender is to survive a catastrophic drive failure, so you just swap out and reboot or reinstall depending on whether it was the primary drive that failed.

Sorry if thats as clear as mud
    Friday, January 18, 2008 3:50 PM
  • Great idea...but it didn't work. ;-)

I pulled the power from the 80GB and turned on the machine. It obviously didn't detect the OS and prompted me for a boot disk. I tossed the WHS DVD in...it started the setup process; I looked for a repair/rebuild/reinstall option, nothing. The ONLY option was 'New Installation', which bodly states that all data will be erased from all the drives. :-/
    Friday, January 18, 2008 4:09 PM
  • the system partition isnt copied to the other drive. And the OS will want to install only to the first hdd on the master ide/sata controller. Try dropping in one of the 500gb set as drive 1/primary master and see if you get the option to reinstall (should be in the same drop down as the New Installation option).
    Friday, January 18, 2008 4:25 PM
  • So when I powered back up with the 80GB plugged back in, the system didn't detect the OS. :-/ ...When I popped the DVD back in, I now get the option you mentioned (reinstall). It DOES show my 80GB (along with the 160GB and 500GB). It does say that all settings will be lost, but not backup and shared folders, which is good. However, I haven't clicked 'NEXT' yet for fear of not knowing whether the install will default back to the 80GB or give me the option of which drive I want to be primary.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 4:32 PM
  • think you know which drive it will default too, by checking which drive the bios reports as the first drive (which will be drive 1/primary master depending on sata/ide respectively.

EDIT: presume you could, remove all drives except the one you want to install too, perform the intial installation, on first reboot, power off, connect the other drives backup and allow it to continue installing/rebooting as necessary. I believe that windows server 2003 is installed first, then the bits that make up home server.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 4:41 PM
  • It's a bit late now, but the recommended way of replacing your system drive is to shut down, physically replace the system drive with a new drive connected in the same way (leaving all other drives connected), and do a server reinstallation.

If you want to move from 2 small drives to 2 large drives, you'll probably find it easier to install from scratch on the 2 large drives, then copy your files from the old small drives. (Warning: don't connect your old system drive directly to your WHS. You're likely to have problems if you do so.) You'll find your files on the drives in <driveletter>:/DE/Shares/etc.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 5:56 PM
  • I really appreciate the comments!!!

My final solution was, as you suggested, remove the two -older- drives and plop in the new one and reinstall.

I was unaware of the file path, so thank you.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I really wish it were that simple, but it appears that WHS does not natively support AHCI. Upon rebooting with the WHS installation DVD, it just complains about not finding a drive that can be used to load WHS. If I switch to IDE mode, then I get past the problem of finding drives, but then the reinstallation option is not available.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Hi,
    you can put the unpacked SATA drivers to an USB stick or a floppy disk (the later may be necessary in 2nd installation step) and have Windows Home Server Setup to load them to get the disks detected.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:20 PM