Sync GalContacts.db RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to force/set communicator to update its GalContacts.db several times in the same day?

Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:25 PM

Answers

• No, it's not possible to have it download multiple times per day.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:24 PM

All replies

• No, it's not possible to have it download multiple times per day.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Is this for testing or production?  Exiting and restarting the Communicator client should trigger a new AB download, but the AB files are (by default) only regenerated once every 24 hours (at 1:30AM local OCS server time), so the clients are just going to be getting the same data each time within the previous 24 hours.  The abconfig OCS Resource Kit Tool will let you easily change that 1:30AM time to a different setting, but is still limited to once per day.

On the server side you could create a Scheduled Task to execute the abserver.exe -syncNow command (found in the Server\Core sub-directory of your OCS installation) and run that multiple times per day, then any clients that are restarted would have newly generated AB files to download.

Are you trying to reduce the convergence window between changes made to Active Directory (e.g. new users, updated phone numbers, deleted accounts) or do you have something else in mind?

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:19 PM
  • I have a similar issue - I need to be able to send an IM to a group whose membership may change multiple times in a day - will my ability to do this be impacted by what you're describing here?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Why can't I modify the update frequency between OCS and AD?

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:50 PM
  • As I explained above you could schedule the abserver -regenUR and -syncNow commands to run multiple times per day on the server in order to reduce the convergence window between the AD and OCS address books.  But OC clients will not see those changes until they synchronize the address book, which can be manually forced.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 8:12 PM
  •  

Using the scheduled task is a good workaround. One thing I've noticed is that when I've manually tried the abserver commands, and I log out and log into to the client. I don't see the new groups. How do I manually force the update on the client?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Can I control the refresh period for GAL DB update on the client with the

DGRefreshPeriod registry setting?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:13 PM
  • I don't think this would trigger a new AB download or update AD attrbiute changes, but it might help you with trying to update group membership changes.  I would set it to the minimum value and see if it works.

DGRefreshPeriod

Set refresh rate for distribution groups:

Specifies the number of seconds to wait before refreshing the contents of distribution groups currently expanded in the Contact List.

REG_DWORD

Min = 30
    Max = 28800 (default)

Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:00 PM
  • From what I understand, this key does work to reset the group membership data on your machine. Apparently, MOC manages this data in 2 files. One file is a simple list of all the DG's it knows about. The other (GalContacts.db, i presume), contains membership data for these groups. Setting this registry key adjusts the stale data period on the index file. If you set the timeout to 30 and refresh your galcontacts, at the 31st minute, if you try to expand a group known to your MOC, the client will realize it  has stale data and will query the address book service to re-expand the group. Use with caution, because it can generate excessive network traffic with large numbers of clients looking up groups with large memberships.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:49 PM