I can not remove one of my computers from my circle RRS feed

• Question

• Each time I try to remove a specific computer (one of three total computers from my circle), I keep getting a message "An error is preventing onecare from this action.  Please restart your computer and try again.  If the problem continues, please contact the help center."  I have tried to restart my Hub machine to no avial.
    Helpful notes, before I tried to remove this computer from my cicle, I logged onto onecare (on the pc that I wanted to remove - the non-hub machine) and chose "stop using this computer as a hub" which I found interesting as I had mad my new computer the hub in place of this one.  I am pretty certian that the computer (the one I want to remove from my circle) is not the hub computer as I can not see the other computer names from this machine.
    Next, I proceeded to log onto onecare from my "Hub" machine, and attempted to remove that specific computer.  OK, if I haven't confused you by now, let me try and simplify.

Basically, I am logged onto my hub computer and cannot seem to remove one of my non-hub machines - receiving the error I stated above.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:13 AM

Answers

• If you select "Remove this PC" it will unregister One Care from that computer. If that is your intent you can uninstall One Care from the computer you no longer want in your One Care Circle, then you should be able to remove the computer name from your hub computer. If your intent is to just not monitor the status of one computer, this can't be done. The only options are to monitor all of the computers or stop using any computer as a hub, which then will not allow you to monitor any of them remotely.
    Jim
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Thank you,
    Not sure what might have been hanging up the process - I ended up rebooting the machine I wanted to remove - afterwhich, I was able to remove it from my circle using the hub PC.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:24 PM

All replies

• If you select "Remove this PC" it will unregister One Care from that computer. If that is your intent you can uninstall One Care from the computer you no longer want in your One Care Circle, then you should be able to remove the computer name from your hub computer. If your intent is to just not monitor the status of one computer, this can't be done. The only options are to monitor all of the computers or stop using any computer as a hub, which then will not allow you to monitor any of them remotely.
    Jim
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:49 AM
  • If you intend to remove OneCare from one of the 3 computers and uninstalling from that PC leaves an entry on the Hub machine, try the remove option from the hub after the uninstall. If that still fails to allow the removal, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Thank you,
    Not sure what might have been hanging up the process - I ended up rebooting the machine I wanted to remove - afterwhich, I was able to remove it from my circle using the hub PC.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:24 PM