To RAID or not to RAID, This is the question..... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can I get a simple answer to this Q?

Can WHS install on a RAID 1 ( mirrored) array?

I can Install Server 2000, XP , Etc in RAID 1 on the SAME hardawe, but NOT WHS.

Call me "old Fashion", but I still like to back up the old way.( and I mean Hard Drives, ooops, I meant " Computers").

I can NOT even get to the F6 option with WHS, Why?

What so great about the WHS back up features?

Thank god that MS doesn't have motors in the OS, It might crash as fast as this Hard Drive !

I also found out that many drivers does NOT work with WHS, Any URL for custom drivers?

Did you know that some FreeWare is not "available" for "big time" servers?  Grrrrrrr.....

Thanx

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:20 PM

Answers

•  Dogie wrote:

Call me "old Fashion", but I still like to back up the old way.( and I mean Hard Drives, ooops, I meant " Computers").

Thank god that MS doesn't have motors in the OS, It might crash as fast as this Hard Drive !

I also found out that many drivers does NOT work with WHS, Any URL for custom drivers?

Did you know that some FreeWare is not "available" for "big time" servers?  Grrrrrrr.....

Thanx

Can WHS install on a RAID 1 ( mirrored) array? - Yes. It has nothing to do with WHS, your motherboard/RAID controller should be able to handle it AND be bootable from it. If that's the case, there's no reason you should not be able to install it on a RAID 1 array. (And I have tried it, it works).

As far as drivers go, any drivers that work for 2003 (and even XP) will probably work for WHS, since the core is a 2003 O/S.

What so great about the WHS back up features?  Read the marketing literature. Smile

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:27 PM

All replies

•  Dogie wrote:

Thanx

Can WHS install on a RAID 1 ( mirrored) array? - Yes. It has nothing to do with WHS, your motherboard/RAID controller should be able to handle it AND be bootable from it. If that's the case, there's no reason you should not be able to install it on a RAID 1 array. (And I have tried it, it works).

As far as drivers go, any drivers that work for 2003 (and even XP) will probably work for WHS, since the core is a 2003 O/S.

What so great about the WHS back up features?  Read the marketing literature. Smile

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:27 PM
  •  Dogie wrote:

Thanx

Simple but yet polite answer: Read The Manuals Getting Started — Windows Home Server and

Release Documentation for Windows Home Server

Although I'm not very old I still remember the days when a console was actually a console; however I don't go running around the house like headless chicken shouting I CAN NOT FIND THE CONSOLE if someone points me to the WHS console.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  kapone wrote:

Yes. It has nothing to do with WHS, your motherboard/RAID controller should be able to handle it AND be bootable from it. If that's the case, there's no reason you should not be able to install it on a RAID 1 array. (And I have tried it, it works).

Well...... It did not work for me.

Here are the details:

I use a Mobo with an nVidia chipset, RAID enabled BIOS &  2 X 320 SATA SG.

Apperantly Windows does NOT have the drivers for the SATA or the RAID in this configurations.

This is really not a problem, I created an F6 Install  floppy disk that contains the 2 drivers, NVRAId & NVmass storage.

On the " press F6 to install 3rd party drivers", I installed them and was able to continue installing XP, Server 2000 & other OS's.

In the WHS case , I could NOT even get to the blue windows set up screen in order to install the drivers.

Set up was terminated in  the " set up is initializing" Phase,

I got an error msg : "set up can not continue, UI system failed"

The only hint i got is from the OEM pre-install docs (OPK), that states ;

" The master server on which you install WHS,  MUST contain ONLY a single hard drive.

Preinstalling on hardware that has multiple hard drives is NOT supported".

As I stated before, I WAS ABLE to install OTHER OS's on the SAME hardware, useing the SAME method.

Is it possible to bypass that "pre install" set up? Apperantly something in this OS detects 2 HD's and stops the install.

So, Whats the trick?

Thnx.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:49 PM
  •  Dogie wrote:
     kapone wrote:

Yes. It has nothing to do with WHS, your motherboard/RAID controller should be able to handle it AND be bootable from it. If that's the case, there's no reason you should not be able to install it on a RAID 1 array. (And I have tried it, it works).

Well...... It did not work for me.

Here are the details:

I use a Mobo with an nVidia chipset, RAID enabled BIOS &  2 X 320 SATA SG.

Apperantly Windows does NOT have the drivers for the SATA or the RAID in this configurations.

This is really not a problem, I created an F6 Install  floppy disk that contains the 2 drivers, NVRAId & NVmass storage.

On the " press F6 to install 3rd party drivers", I installed them and was able to continue installing XP, Server 2000 & other OS's.

In the WHS case , I could NOT even get to the blue windows set up screen in order to install the drivers.

Set up was terminated in  the " set up is initializing" Phase,

I got an error msg : "set up can not continue, UI system failed"

The only hint i got is from the OEM pre-install docs (OPK), that states ;

" The master server on which you install WHS,  MUST contain ONLY a single hard drive.

Preinstalling on hardware that has multiple hard drives is NOT supported".

As I stated before, I WAS ABLE to install OTHER OS's on the SAME hardware, useing the SAME method.

Is it possible to bypass that "pre install" set up? Apperantly something in this OS detects 2 HD's and stops the install.

So, Whats the trick?

Thnx.

Wrong. With WHS you have to use the driver disk TWICE. Once when the "WHS" setup starts up and identifies the system drive, it gives you an option to load drivers. Then once it has finished THAT part, and reboots, and the underlying Server 2003 setup kicks in (old style) and flashes that "Press F6 is you...." message, you have to do it AGAIN, otherwise it won't work.

Monday, January 28, 2008 10:58 PM
  •  kapone wrote:
     KAPONE:

Wrong. With WHS you have to use the driver disk TWICE. Once when the "WHS" setup starts up and identifies the system drive, it gives you an option to load drivers. Then once it has finished THAT part, and reboots, and the underlying Server 2003 setup kicks in (old style) and flashes that "Press F6 is you...." message, you have to do it AGAIN, otherwise it won't work.

Thanks, sounds like a good advise, BUT....

I Can NOT find the " first" option to load the drivers.

To be specific, here is what happens:

On first boot from the DVD , I get a black screen with a white progress bar that reads; "Windows is loading files...".

Can't load my drivers in that stage, I tried all F# keys.

Machine reboots into a new black screen with a green lines progress bar with Microsoft corporation logo under it.

Than the machine reboots into the "bluish" skin with the message " Set Up is initializing".

80 % into the progress bar I get this error message:  windows home server Setup Error:

"Could not initialize UI subsystem"

Where is that elusive option to load the drivers into the WHS setup?

Thnx again,

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:14 AM
  • So what is this init UI subsystem error?

Does it have to do with Sata optical drives, and their configuration, or maybe primary/ secondary on the sata controller?

Noticed on other threads that people were able to fix their ui errors by swapping out their optical drives, but that doesn't help me to understand exactly what this error means.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:23 AM
  •  aggrophoto wrote:

So what is this init UI subsystem error?

Does it have to do with Sata optical drives, and their configuration, or maybe primary/ secondary on the sata controller?

Noticed on other threads that people were able to fix their ui errors by swapping out their optical drives, but that doesn't help me to understand exactly what this error means.

Can I please get ken warren to answer this Q?

ALSO......

Is it posible to add the drivers to a certain folder in the WHS Install DVd & burn a NEW DVD that will contain the RAID & Mass Storage drivers?

What is the Path to that folder?

Thnx,

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:28 AM
  • Well I'm not Ken but,

This error has been reported many times and is fixed by :

1. Another DVD drive, you may be right it has problems with the DVD drive on the SATA controller.

2. Change controller to which boot device(s) are connected (if possible)

3. New media

4. change BIOS settings (try default) / BIOS update

5. ............ search this forum for UI subsystem

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Anyone knows WTF is that "UI subsystem" ????

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Well?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:06 PM
  • YES !!!!

Friday, February 1, 2008 9:19 AM
  • TH UI Subsystem error will appear in WHS only when your using a SATA drive, with Raid turned on in the bios, this happens becuase your controller card is not recognized by the os at this point, switch to an IDE CD/DVD DRIVE, and then run the installer once again
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:39 PM
  • If your opical drive is SATA and if your BIOS allows it, you can turn off SATA for the port used by the optical drive. Later you can turn SATA for that port back on.
    You can also use an IDE/ATAPI optical drive or an external USB optical drive.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:54 PM