none
Prometric voucher system has poor software design RRS feed

• Question

• I signed up for a 4 voucher deal with 4 free retakes.  I took 70-511 and failed it.  I took 70-511 and passed it.  I went on to take 70-513 and 70-516 and passed them.  Now I am out of vouchers.  How did this happen?  I blame poor software design.  Apparently after the fact,  I learn that I was supposed to apply for a new voucher number.  As a software developer,  I not pleased with the design of a system that is not user friendly.  The system should know when a test is a retake.  I should not have to go through an extra step to get a retake voucher.

Furthermore,  I call up Prometric to get the situation resolved and I treated with customer service representatives that don't seem to want to help me.  It is very simple.  I paid for 4 tests and one of the vouchers was used erroneously.  All they have to do is go into he system and change the second voucher number to the retake voucher number and free up my voucher to schedule a new test.   Seems like a very simple task.  Apparently it is an impossible task for Prometric.  

Are there any alternatives to Prometric for Microsoft exams?  When one company holds a Monopoly,  customer service is always poor.               

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• Microsoft went exclusively to Prometric a few years back ... we used to have PearsonVue available also (which has a much better scheduling interface), but alas it is only Prometric now.

I feel your pain on the vouchers. I've personally gone through a three-voucher pack and wasn't a huge fan of the whole "sign up for the voucher free, then pay when you use it one time" - it was a tad confusing. We issue vouchers to our technicians via the Microsoft Partner voucher system which is much cleaner. We get a 3, 5 or 8 pack of vouchers and pay for them on the stop. Each voucher is a seperate number and can be used for one test and one free retake of the same exam.

Wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately that is the best option we have with MS.

Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:34 PM
  • I understand your frustration, however the exam pack email you would have been sent clearly states:

IF YOU FAIL YOUR EXAM

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FREE RETAKE – A SECOND SHOT

In order to re-take an exam, you will need to register your failed exam at: 

http://www.prometric.com/microsoft/examretake.htm?s=MSRETAKE 

After the failed exam has been validated, you will be sent a Second Shot voucher code for the failed exam.  This is only required for candidates who purchased a 2, 3, 4, or 5 exam packs.   Candidates who purchased a single exam voucher can use the same voucher number to retake the exam.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:46 AM

All replies

• Microsoft went exclusively to Prometric a few years back ... we used to have PearsonVue available also (which has a much better scheduling interface), but alas it is only Prometric now.

I feel your pain on the vouchers. I've personally gone through a three-voucher pack and wasn't a huge fan of the whole "sign up for the voucher free, then pay when you use it one time" - it was a tad confusing. We issue vouchers to our technicians via the Microsoft Partner voucher system which is much cleaner. We get a 3, 5 or 8 pack of vouchers and pay for them on the stop. Each voucher is a seperate number and can be used for one test and one free retake of the same exam.

Wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately that is the best option we have with MS.

Paul Hite - MCSE, MCITP
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:34 PM
  • I understand your frustration, however the exam pack email you would have been sent clearly states:

IF YOU FAIL YOUR EXAM

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FREE RETAKE – A SECOND SHOT

In order to re-take an exam, you will need to register your failed exam at: 

http://www.prometric.com/microsoft/examretake.htm?s=MSRETAKE 

After the failed exam has been validated, you will be sent a Second Shot voucher code for the failed exam.  This is only required for candidates who purchased a 2, 3, 4, or 5 exam packs.   Candidates who purchased a single exam voucher can use the same voucher number to retake the exam.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:46 AM
  • I read all of this after the fact.  The software was designed poorly to even have this in the email.  I am not happy with Prometrics scheduling software or customer service.  I still have one more exam to take.  Since there is only one option,  I will take my final exam then boycott Prometric.  I will not take another exam until Microsoft provides more options for test takers.   
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:03 PM
  • I read all of this after the fact.  The software was designed poorly to even have this in the email.  I am not happy with Prometrics scheduling software or customer service.  I still have one more exam to take.  Since there is only one option,  I will take my final exam then boycott Prometric.  I will not take another exam until Microsoft provides more options for test takers.   

I have to chime in on this.

Prometric is a disgraceful company with a little more than completely nonexistent customer service. I am sorry, but I don't want to deal with Prometric, therefore I will hold off my remaining MCITP exams until an alternative test service is available.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:22 AM

I have to chime in on this.

Prometric is a disgraceful company with a little more than completely nonexistent customer service. I am sorry, but I don't want to deal with Prometric, therefore I will hold off my remaining MCITP exams until an alternative test service is available.

I wouldn't hold your breath as there are no plans to introduce another testing servcie.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Well I rarely bother to vent my spleen on teh internets, however I will make an exception in this case.

Prometric are a joke. I'm pretty sure it would take me about 2 days work in ASP.NET to make something 100 times better than their website, and their customer service is almost nonexistent.

Unfortunately what is said above is very true, in a monopoly situation then we can do nothing.

There was a deal on 5-exam packs when I was halfway through MCITP:EA cert. I bought it and did my remaining 3 exams, then was going to schedule the MCITP:Exchange exams using the other two. Prometric said however that the voucher expired at the end of 2011. I checked all the emails I had been sent, and this is definitely not stated in any comms.

Prometric are trying to get out of it by claiming that this is Microsoft's terms/conditions and since they are only Microsoft's agent they can do nothing. Thing is I paid Prometric, I received the voucher email from them, I booked the exams with them, therefore the service was bought from and provided by Prometric. Under UK contract law that means my contract is with them and they are responsible for sorting it out. However they are ignoring my emails and two phone calls have so far failed to sort out the matter.

Microsoft's integrity is called into question by their association with such questionable partners as Prometric. I really want to continue with the Exchange MCITP, and then onwards to MCM:Directory but it really makes me angry that Prometric will benefit financially from me in any way!

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:18 PM