Windows Vista OEM RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi I accidently purchessed and OEM version of Windows Vista Home Premium off of eBay not knowing what it was and was wondering how it works and do i have to pay again for a product cd key?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Yes, only changing your motherboard, constitues a New Computer and if you are using an OEM copy of Windows when you made the change, you will not be Licensed to use the OEM copy of Windows, on the "new computer".

Darin

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi CptWillis,

Could you describe what the disk looks like as well as what is written on the disk?  Or, it the auction had a picture of the disk, would you post a link to it, I need to know what kind of "OEM" it is.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:24 PM
  • I dont want to open the package because if i do i cant return it but it says : Product description, Windows Vista Home Prem 32-bit Eng 3pk DSP OEI DVD, OEM System Builder Pack, Intended for system builders ONLY. and it says i need an OEM Preindtallation Kit (OPK)

and here a link to the picture: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/6/7/0/7/7/webimg/35976523_o.jpg

and the item description on ebay:

Full Version (OEM Edition) includes

Latest 2007 Windows Securely Updates
    (not an upgrade) w/ auto updates

This software is new, sealed, and unregistered

Brand New Factory Sealed w/ Genuine COA

The software is 100% authentic and it has a unique registration key code.

Brand Microsoft
    Model 66I-00715
    Name Windows Vista Home Premium DVD
    Version Home Premium
    Packaging OEM
    Features The preferred edition of Windows for home desktop and mobile PCs, with features including Windows Media Center and the Aero user interface, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers the productivity and entertainment that you need from your PC at home or on the go.
    Get things done more easily and intuitively
    Breakthrough design makes your PC easier to use. Integrated search makes it finding the programs and files (including documents, e-mails, photos, and music) you’re looking for super fast.
    Have better protection for your PC and family
    With features including Windows Defender and improved Parental Controls, your personal information, your PC, and your family are better protected than in previous versions of Windows.
    Enjoy entertainment a whole new way
    The dramatically improved entertainment experience—spanning TV and movies, photos, music, and DVDs—will redefine the way you think about your PC.
    Be productive, entertained, and mobile
    Get the most from your mobile PC with simplified power management, easier wireless networking, easier device synchronization and improved Tablet PC support.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Hi CptWillis,

One thing you should look for is if you look at the back of the case, you should be able to see the top side of the disk inside. Take a close look and see if it looks like the disk has a holograph. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/default.aspx?displaylang=en for examples of how the holograph should and should not look like.

I had a co-worker (that owns a OEM System Builder version of Vista) look at your picture and she say it looks right. She is now looking up the Model number and see if that gives any helpful information.

So,as it stands now, I don't see anything that stands out to suggest it's Counterfeit. And if my coworker doesn't find anything suspicious with the model number, the next thing would be for us to analyze the Product Key (Please, Do Not Post your Product Key in this Public forum). But to analyze the key, you would need to open the case. So you will need to decide wether to risk it or to return the software.

I think the best rule of thumb is if the deal was too good to be true, it probably isn't. I see at a leading online retailer that an OEM System Builder copy of Home Premium is going for around $99, So if you got the software at a price substantially lower then that, I would be suspicious. 

(Note: Microsoft can not/will not send you replacement software if this turns out to be counterfeit)

Lastly, to answer your original question, the way OEM System Builder works is, it's sold to people and companies that build and sell computers. The major differents between OEM System Builder and Retail Vista is OEM System Builder costs less, and because of this, it can Only be used on the first computer it is installed on. The License Agreement Does Not allow the OEM System Builder copy of Vista to be transfered to a new computer. Retail Vista can be installed on any numebr of computers As Long As it is only installed on one (1) computer at a time

I will update you when I hear from my co-worker,

Darin

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Hi Darin,

In the paragraph below, could you elaborate on the definition of new computer. If I build my own system and then over time change CPU or Motherboard or system drive and need to re-install - do any of these changes constitute a "new computer" and will I be prevented from re-installing?

Thanks,

Mike

" Lastly, to answer your original question, the way OEM System Builder works is, it's sold to people and companies that build and sell computers. The major differents between OEM System Builder and Retail Vista is OEM System Builder costs less, and because of this, it can Only be used on the first computer it is installed on. The License Agreement Does Not allow the OEM System Builder copy of Vista to be transfered to a new computer. Retail Vista can be installed on any numebr of computers As Long As it is only installed on one (1) computer at a time. "

Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes, only changing your motherboard, constitues a New Computer and if you are using an OEM copy of Windows when you made the change, you will not be Licensed to use the OEM copy of Windows, on the "new computer".

Darin

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hi Darin,

What if the change of motherboard was due to uncontrollable circumstances (e.g. the board simply goes out of order)? in that case, will the oem vista still works by replacing an exact same model of motherboard? what about in situation where replacement of the exact same model is impossible? Thanks.
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:05 AM
  •  

The only exception is if the Motherboard was replaced (by the original equpment manufacturer...OEM) under Warranty repair. In which case, the Windows would still be licensed to run on that "new" computer.

But it has to be done by the OEM and it has to be covered under warranty (not some later Upgrade or something)

ALL other Changing of the Motherboard (even if you change out the motherboard with the same model Motherboard) will result in a New computer being created. And, since OEM software is only licensed to run on the Original computer it was first installed on, if the motherboard wasn't changed under Warranty, by the oem, then the Windows is Not licensed to run on that "Newly Created" computer.

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Please remember, I do not make these Licensing Agreements, I am only trying to explain them to you.

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:31 PM