On Premise SQL to Azure Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I am working as a BI Developer. I am working on SQL server and other Microsoft stack. In our current project too plans are to migrate everything to Azure. My question is how can i enhance my career in Azure such that i can contribute to the migration activities. Does AZ-900 would help the purpose or do i need to go for another one? Also, how can i advance my career growth in azure further?

• Edited by ami2805 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 7:41 AM

All replies

• Overview of schema migration steps
    An overview of the steps associated with using DMA to migrate the schema follows.

Open DMA, and then begin creating a new migration project.
    Specify a project name, select SQL Server as the source server type, and then select Azure SQL Database as the target server type.
    Specify the migration scope as Schema only, and then create the project.
    Specify the source connection details for your SQL Server, and then connect to the source database.
    Specify the target connection details for the Azure SQL database, and then connect to the database you had pre-provisioned in Azure SQL Database.
    Specify the schema objects in the source database that need to be deployed to Azure SQL Database.
    Generate SQL scripts, and then review them for any errors.
    Fix the objects that report errors by leveraging the recommendations provided by your DMA assessment.
    Deploy the schema to Azure SQL Database, and then check the target server for any anomalies.
    Important: For detail on the specific steps associated with:

Online migrations, see the information here.
    Offline migrations, see the information here.
    Migrate data
    When your schema has been successfully migrated to the target, the next step is to execute the data movement by using the Azure Database Migration Service (DMS).

Note: You can also use DMA to migrate databases. However, DMA is best for performing proofs of concept (PoCs), test database migrations, or for relatively small database migration efforts. Note that when using DMA for data migration, you can only move one database at a time. For more information, see the article Migrate on-premises SQL Server using Data Migration Assistant.

Overview of data migration steps
    An overview of the steps associated with using Azure DMS to migrate the data follows.

Register the Microsoft.DataMigration resource provider.
    Create an instance of DMS.
    Create a migration project in DMS.
    Specify source details for the migration.
    Specify target details for the migration.
    Run the migration.
    Monitor the migration.
    Important: For detail on the specific steps associated with:

Data sync and Cutover
    With minimal-downtime of Azure data migration, the source you are migrating continues to change, drifting from the target in terms of data and schema, after the one-time migration occurs. During the Data sync phase, you need to ensure that all changes in the source are captured and applied to the target in near real time. After you verify that all changes in source have been applied to the target, you can cutover from the source to the target environment.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:01 AM