Is there any level of remote backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Windows Home Server have any functionality to address kids at college or parents of tech savvy people with one computer in the home?  Basically I would like to know if there is any level of remote backup for members of your family that don't reside in the household with the server.  It doesn't have to be a full restore-able system image, document backup is the most important feature.

Anything??

Just curious. Looking forward to this product.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:03 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can remotely upload files to your Windows Home Server for safe keeping/sharing.  Though, there are many remote features in Windows Home Server for Beta2, remote FULL backup is not one of them. 

Another option is, you can setup a server at the remote location (e.g. my dad’s house) and use Remote Access through the server's webpage to administer all the computers and ensure backups are done correctly.

You can add remote full backup to the suggestion thread if you would like!

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Shared folders are accessible via the network (\\server) or via the web (http://server)...

Justin

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:09 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can remotely upload files to your Windows Home Server for safe keeping/sharing.  Though, there are many remote features in Windows Home Server for Beta2, remote FULL backup is not one of them. 

Another option is, you can setup a server at the remote location (e.g. my dad’s house) and use Remote Access through the server's webpage to administer all the computers and ensure backups are done correctly.

You can add remote full backup to the suggestion thread if you would like!

Monday, February 12, 2007 11:05 PM
  • I don't feel FULL remote backup is feasible due too the quantity of data that would need to be transmitted.

You say that, for example my little sister at college could manually add files to the server while she is away at school, such as papers and such.

Is there any form of automated backup for this?  Where she could select say office documents, e-mail box, and pictures and have only those backed up on the server?

I just want to be clear, no need suggesting wonderful features already in the product :)

And I don't think people say it enough, but this open discussion between developer and future customer is absolutely wonderful.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:53 AM
  • The remote file upload capabilities are not "automated". 

A user (e.g. your little sister) would have to log on to the home server using her username and password, and then she could upload the files she wanted into the desired "shared folder" on your home server that she has Read/Write access to. 

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:42 AM
  • How is that shared folder presented to the user? Is it something that is accessible through say... the command line like a mapped network drive? Or more inline with a web folder?

With the first it’d be pretty easy to use generic backup mechanisms to backup specific files to the remote location... while the second one relies to heavily on the explorer shell.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Shared folders are accessible via the network (\\server) or via the web (http://server)...

Justin

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I would love to see some kind of automated routine backup over http!  Please include this feature
    Friday, March 2, 2007 10:47 AM
  •  Deepcoveruk wrote:
    I would love to see some kind of automated routine backup over http! Please include this feature
    This has been submitted as a suggestion on Connect. If you feel it's particularly important (or unimportant ) you should vote.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Just voted, I hope this one makes it through!
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:04 PM