Problems opening onecare after update RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully installed the update and after I rebooted, onecare will no longer start.  It says, "Windows Live OneCare cannot continue"  It says to reboot and I have done so several times.  I even tried to uninstall and reinstall, and it didn't work.  I am using Vista home premium.  I have 2 other computers in my house that are working fine with windows XP.   Is this a vista problem?
    Any suggestions?

Jason.
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:05 AM

Answers

•  WHughes wrote:
    I am having exactlythe same problem. Vista Ultimate on my laptop and Home Premium on my desktop. Since the upgrade yesterday (12/4), Live One Care will not run and I get the same error messages. I sent a problem issure to the One Care Support Desk and they have not even responded. I am getting a bit ticked off...

I suspect that support is a bit busy right now with the update issues (most people are updating without a problem, but with any major update there are bound to be issues despite lots of testing)

I'm not even going to make it through the rest of the forum topics this evening.

However, that's no excuse.

I'm sorry that you encountered this problem and that a reinstall did not resolve it. You could try to use the cleanup tool and then reinstall - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I have to advise that you await support - normal response time for email support is within 24 hours.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:38 AM

All replies

• I'm having the very same problem...only I have XP not Vista.

I received the update and when I tried to reboot...that didn't happen correctly.  I had to turn my computer back on and then my firewall didn't work.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice.  I TOO get the message "Windows Live Onecare cannot continue."
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:12 AM
  • I am having exactlythe same problem. Vista Ultimate on my laptop and Home Premium on my desktop. Since the upgrade yesterday (12/4), Live One Care will not run and I get the same error messages. I sent a problem issure to the One Care Support Desk and they have not even responded. I am getting a bit ticked off...

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:54 AM
  •  WHughes wrote:
    I am having exactlythe same problem. Vista Ultimate on my laptop and Home Premium on my desktop. Since the upgrade yesterday (12/4), Live One Care will not run and I get the same error messages. I sent a problem issure to the One Care Support Desk and they have not even responded. I am getting a bit ticked off...

I suspect that support is a bit busy right now with the update issues (most people are updating without a problem, but with any major update there are bound to be issues despite lots of testing)

I'm not even going to make it through the rest of the forum topics this evening.

However, that's no excuse.

I'm sorry that you encountered this problem and that a reinstall did not resolve it. You could try to use the cleanup tool and then reinstall - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I have to advise that you await support - normal response time for email support is within 24 hours.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Sadly, the above sound all too familiar.

Not only did Windows Live OneCare not start correctly, when it did my computer froze, invariably just as the Windows Live OneCare icon appeared in the systray...

After fighting with it for 20-30 minutes, I finally managed to force it to reboot in Safe Mode, from whence I could select a restore point.

FWIW the most recent restore point for me was the one automatically created when the update related to KB 923845 installed.

After the restore, I still had to resort to Uninstall then Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

I can't say with certainty that it was the KB 923845 update, but my PC was pretty badly hosed.

After several hours of work, I seem to have things back to normal, but the new installation of Windows Live OneCare has yet to run its first tune-up.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:09 AM