unable to access shared files from windows 7 machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone;

this is a bit of an out of the blue problem and i'm not quite sure what's going on.

here is what i have: HP EX470 running windows home server sp 2, all patches have been applied, and this machine has been running flawlessly for a couple years, serving media across the house with out a problem.

i have two win 7 machines, both of which are unable to access the shares from the server, and this started pretty much out of the blue.

there is a prompt for the user name and password like normally. when trying to connect to the hpserver via network sharing.

we always connect as administrator and supply the appropriate password. (lectures on the error of my ways are welcome), and it works

however now when we connect it says and i quote "Login Failure: unknown user name or bad password"

this would seem easy enough, however, i can Remote desktop to the server and able to connect using the same creditials as i pass along to the network share and it works i'm able utilize remote desktop no problem.

to further complicate matters, i have a raspberry pi running xbmc, which when given the administrator login information connects and serves up media.

this is making no sense to me at all, except that it is odd that both win7 machines suffer from this.  i'm wondering if some windows update for win7 is causing me some grief.

anyone have any ideas that might be causing this to occur?  i have tried restarting all machines to see if this would resolve it (i don't know why but didn't really know what else).  i have verified that administrator still has share access to the folders that are shared, and does.

i'm perplexed...anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:11 AM

All replies

• Try creating a new WHS user with the same credentials as one of your W7 users and see if that works - that is how it is designed to work!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:09 AM
  • Try creating a new WHS user with the same credentials as one of your W7 users and see if that works - that is how it is designed to work!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Negative, created a user on the WHS with same creditials as myself on my laptop, i even left the password as blank, and added the acount to the adminstrators group.

connect to share as \\hpserver\Gary Hartl with no password and it fails with same error message.

driving me a bit crazy

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:46 AM
  • Have you set up a HomeGroup, attributes of which overwrite WHS settings? What happens if you just open the server in Explorer and access the shared folders from there rather than trying to map them?

Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:58 AM