This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Error: 

This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

I have the problem with my OEM build 3790 licensed WHS

With same hardware setup I installed the trial os everything OK and working.  The console will open and function. 

Reinstall oem os and the error and console failure is back.

HP Proliant ML115t01 server

WHS oem Powerpack 1

All server updates installed

All port required are open

nsLookup Homeserver  reports are correct IP

Ping Homeserver works

Discovery.exe installs OK  without and visable errors but the toolkit error reporting shows the following

Error log  from toolkit

1/25/2009 11:34:54 PM The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
     1/25/2009 11:34:54 PM The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

1/25/2009 11:34:50 PM Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.1800.24,

but partner computer HOMESERVER uses protocol version 6.0.1800.0. A connection cannot be established.
     1/25/2009 11:34:34 PM The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
     1/25/2009 11:34:34 PM Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or

`                                    was not run successfully.
     1/25/2009 11:34:19 PM The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

I think that the update process is changing the client side but not the server side.

Version from server settings resources

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Notice the different versions being used.  Why are they different?  The client Windows Home server console is using xxx.00 and client side is using xxx.24.

How can I prevent that from happening?

Any suggestions.

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the version numbers look ok and are most current (not all modules have been upgraded in the last patches and therefore the version numbers are different).

Did you already attempt a reboot of the server, before trying to install the Connector? If this doesn't change the behavior, try to uninstall KB957825 on the server, reboot the server and try the Connector installation again.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Thanks Olaf but this did not fix my problem but i think you were moving me in the right direction.  I tried as you suggested.

Reboot server and tried again to open console

Error on client

This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

uninstalled KB 957825 on server

same result

unistalled console on client

rebooted both machines

installed by downloading the Windows Server Connection folder in the shared software folder on the server to the client

ran setup on the client looked as if it installed without issue

rebooted both machines

tried to open console on client

error again

reinstalled toolkit 1.1

Followed all steps in the whs_connect_tshoot.doc  >  OK

From the talq.log my version missmatch error are gone but new one has popped up.

1/26/2009 9:24:14 AM The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
     1/26/2009 9:24:14 AM Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.
     1/26/2009 9:10:01 AM The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

Discovery runs and closed without issue but you can see the serverID is not set.  How do I set it??? plus I still get the login error as before.

Still cannot login into console on client side and still with same error.

Any other ideas???

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:08 PM
  • I had the same problem, I solved it by setting the "Jubo frames" to the lowest level on the server NIC !!!! - I tried to disabling it ...still good, but if I set it to max, wich is 9014 bytes, the error was the same as yours.

Don't know if it solves your problem, but it's worth a try :-) 
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I am having the same connect problem but I have a different twist. I had already installed and was successfully running my WHS which was the eval copy. My 6 computers on my home network were being backedup. But  then I had to do a reinstall in order for my WHS reg code to work. Everything seemed to install fine and on my server's WHS console my backups were there. But then when I tried to connect to the server from one of my computers it couldn't find the WHS. I tried a 2nd computer and had the same problem. I was using the connector software from the eval version so I looked at the OEM version of the connector software and saw that it was different (1 large .exe file). So I tried using it and had the same result.

Does anyone know where to find and/or change the name of the WHS (I'm pretty sure I left it at the WHS install default of SERVER). What is strange about the default name though, is the connector software's default server name it is looking for is HOMESERVER. But I have tried a search for both of those names during the connector install and neither one works.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might do?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I discovered my problem. I had a bad ethernet cable. It had been working fine and then it just went bad. I replaced it just as a last resort and Viola! it worked.

I want to thank everyone who responded, this forum is always a big help.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:11 PM