How to identify hard drives and remove one with duplication not enabled on all 6 drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a Windows Home Server that running off an Intel Motherboard with 4 SATA slots on the Intel Chipset and 4 SATA Slots on a secondary Marvell Chipset on the motherboard. At present I have (6) Seagate 1 terabyte drives in the server, four of which are on the Intel chipset and two on the marvel chip set. At present my WHS shows healthy status, all is running good and I have about 1.6 Terabytes of free space. I will note however that at present I do not have duplication enabled for all shares and am guessing if I did I would not have enough disk space.

The reason for my post is that I believe I have a hard drive that will soon fail. My computer sounds like it has a heartbeat as I hear a small thump about every 2 seconds and by touch, have figured out which physical drive it is.

Problem 1 is being able to match the physical drives in the computer with what the software shows. Is there an easy way to do this? Even if the drive does fail tomorrow I have no way of knowing which drive it is in the WHS console.

Problem 2 is once I figure out which drive it is, how do I remove it so that I don't loose data since duplication is not enabled on all drives?

I have played with a few add Ins to help me identify the drives but not having a lot of luck

Thoughts and thanks

WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    you can try to use the Add-In WHS Diskmanagement to identify the disks by their serial number.

If this does not work, the only other option would be to to power down the server, disconnect that disk, boot up the server and check, which drive is now reported as missing.
    Power the server down and attach the drive again.
    Boot the server and remove the disk in the console from the Storage pool.
    This will try to move any data, which is stored on that disk, to other volumes.

If this fails and you can only remove the disk, while it is in missing status: The FAQ How to recover data after server failure describes, where on the disk data may be stored and how to access it (given the disk is still accessible).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:34 PM