Error: The source file has been modified during the synchronization process. The data is invalid. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SyncToy 2.0 Beta to backup my "Documents and Settings" folder to a network drive and I'm seeing some odd behavior.

First of all, it insists on syncronizing the same 147 files from the right folder to the left folder every time eventhough these have not changed on either side.

This might be caused by the fact that the drive on my laptop (the left side) is formatted as NFTS and the drive on the network is formatted as FAT, and there is a difference in the way that the two work with timestamps, but I would like to get this confirmed and hopefully someone will know a way around this.

Secondly, the copying of all of these 147 files fail ever time with the error message "Error: The source file has been modified during the synchronization process. The data is invalid". This message is displayed in the log.

I know that these files were not edited during the synchronization process. I'm fairly certain that I'd would not be able to edit 147 files at the same time in any case.

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• you have answered your own question!

the file attributes have to change as you are transferring a NTFS formattted file to a FAT32 formatted drive, the files look different each time you run SyncToy as they are different. So make both devices formatted to either FAT32 or NTFS, the latter being more efficient and stable as you mention a network scenario.
    hope this helps you. good luck!
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:28 PM

All replies

• you have answered your own question!

the file attributes have to change as you are transferring a NTFS formattted file to a FAT32 formatted drive, the files look different each time you run SyncToy as they are different. So make both devices formatted to either FAT32 or NTFS, the latter being more efficient and stable as you mention a network scenario.
    hope this helps you. good luck!
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:28 PM
  • I found one way to get that error. I was syncing from a unix box to a pc and had two files with the same name but different capitalization (which are unique in unix but not unique in windows) hence the error.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:49 PM