System drive showing up incorrectly RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running WHS since 2008 with no troubles until about a month ago.  I started experiencing problems with my system drive.  It showed that the drive needed to be repaired and the backup database repaired.  Shortly after that I started having system hanging problems which I assumed were due to bad sectors on the system drive.  At this point I noticed that another of my drives had failed (same brand / model) although this drive was totally dead.

I purchased a new 2TB drive to replace the two failed 1GB drives and did a reinstall of WHS. Had lost most of the backups because of the previous drive's bad sectors, but all my data seems to be in place.

Several days later I now have another error on the system drive, although a reboot seems to have corrected that issue. 

The strangest issue is that the drive is listed as a ST31000340AS with a size of 1.82TB.  The original failed system drive WAS a ST31000340AS, but 1TB.  The new drive is a Hitachi HDS72202ALA330 (2TB).  My second drive is also a Hitachi of the same make and model and it shows up correctly.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

thanks...........Bruce

Friday, July 9, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

• I have been running WHS since 2008 with no troubles until about a month ago.  I started experiencing problems with my system drive.  It showed that the drive needed to be repaired and the backup database repaired.  Shortly after that I started having system hanging problems which I assumed were due to bad sectors on the system drive.  At this point I noticed that another of my drives had failed (same brand / model) although this drive was totally dead.

I purchased a new 2TB drive to replace the two failed 1GB drives and did a reinstall of WHS. Had lost most of the backups because of the previous drive's bad sectors, but all my data seems to be in place.

Several days later I now have another error on the system drive, although a reboot seems to have corrected that issue. 

The strangest issue is that the drive is listed as a ST31000340AS with a size of 1.82TB.  The original failed system drive WAS a ST31000340AS, but 1TB.  The new drive is a Hitachi HDS72202ALA330 (2TB).  My second drive is also a Hitachi of the same make and model and it shows up correctly.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

thanks...........Bruce

Other users have had that same issue in the past.  Since it doesn't affect how WHS works, you should leave it alone.  If you really want to try to fix it anyway, there is a registry entry for that (unfortunately I don't remember the exact path, but it's been posted in this forum before).  Note that trying to fix it like that is unsupported and not recommended.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 4:06 AM