When will the Activation free version of Money appear? RRS feed

• Question

• It was promised a while ago.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:50 PM

Answers

• Now available. Search for "Money Sunset" on the Microsoft download center: download.microsoft.com

-Mark

Friday, May 7, 2010 8:46 PM

All replies

• As long as it arrives before the authentication servers "go away" surely we are OK?
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Now available. Search for "Money Sunset" on the Microsoft download center: download.microsoft.com

-Mark

Friday, May 7, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Hi.  I am using Money 2007 and its online updating is still working at this moment.  Should I install the sunset version right now?  Is it a stable version?  Would love to have some feedback, thnx!

Vicky

Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Vicky, as it has only just been released all you can hope for is very early user feedback. AFAIK all that MS have done is removed the registration code. All other code is, supposed, to be unchanged.

Bob

Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Understand several things:

1) If you have a CD version of M07, there is no particular reason to transition to the Sunset version because:

2) The Sunset version is Money+ and will be a version upgrade to you and your data file. It was released because all Money+ versions had an on-line activation requirement for install/re-install. The activation service is going away at the end of January next year. This will make reinstall, well, more precisely, reactivation impossible.

If you have online download of M07, you probably should consider going to the Sunset version.

If you want the features M+ added to M07 (can't remember any, but...), your probably should consider going to the Sunset version.

Beyond that, I probbaly wouldn't mess with it and I would guard the M07 CD pretty fiercely.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Dick, I do have the CD version of 07, and I don't care for any additional feature of M+.  But I thought 07 also has the online activation requirement?  So you saying that I should be able to run my 07 on my current computer indefinitely?  What happens if I want to install 07 on to another computer in a couple of years?  Would I be able to do that?

Vicky

Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:32 PM
  • M07 only required online activation for online digital download purchases but not for CD box purchases. So as long as you have the CD and the product ID from the package you should be able to sucessfully enable new installations of M07.

M08 unified the distributions so that all forms (online/CD while they had them) required the online activation.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 9:53 PM
  • Thanks much for that clarification. I purchased and installed a 2008 CD in December (panic purchase). So...I guess I have to DL the Sunset editiion.
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:58 PM
  • My understanding is that ALL versions of Money will lose the capacity to update automatically early next year. That's the issue that most folks need to concentrate on.
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Thanks guys. 
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Just tested the Sunset version.

No problems so far.

And it's free! :) That's great.

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:43 AM
  • This new forum looks great. I hope Dick and all the "regulars" will continue here to report on their use of Microsoft Money for their personal finances. Steve
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:45 PM