Path does not exist RRS feed

• Question

• I had a problem with my WHS (it got switched off without shutting down and then wouldn't boot up) so I repaired WHS using the installation DVD.  Everything seemed to go to plan except lots of my files now give the error "Path does not exist" when I try to access them from a client machine.  They show up in Windows Explorer on the client but just can't be accessed.  This used to happen every so often when I tried to delete a file to a client but now it happens with accessing lots of files, including most of my ripped DVDs which are stored on the WHS.  Any thoughts on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Brian

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:08 PM

Answers

• I fiddled some more and just before deciding to reinstall WHS, I looked at the permissions and it transpires that WHS hadn't set the permissions right throughout the folder - only certain files had the right permissions and others were restricted.  By refreshing the permissions, everything then worked!

Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:05 AM

All replies

• Are you using a static IP to your server or is DHCP assigned? It sounds like you don't have the correct address or the server name has changed. One of the best things you can do is make your server have a static IP. Have you run discovery.exe yet from the PC to make sure it has found the server?

Cruise
    Friday, February 29, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for your reply - I'll have a look at the static IP issue.  The client's can see the server, see all the files and access many of them - it just can't seem to access all the files it sees.  I am not sure about discovery.exe - I have never used it before.  I'll look into that too.

I'll post again once I have tried this out.  Thanks

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I set the WHS to static IP and no change.  However, I tried accessing it from a Windows XP machine and it loaded without a problem.  The other two machines are Vista Ultimate and Vista Home Premium.  Does this shed any light on it?

Thanks!

Brian

Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:09 PM
  • I fiddled some more and just before deciding to reinstall WHS, I looked at the permissions and it transpires that WHS hadn't set the permissions right throughout the folder - only certain files had the right permissions and others were restricted.  By refreshing the permissions, everything then worked!

Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:05 AM