I have a new WHS - What is great about adding an Xbox 360 to the TV? RRS feed

• Question

• I have never been impressed by Xbox 360 but Microsoft seems to say it is a great add on to WHS users.

I don't understand the benefits I guess so far.

Anyone have a great success story here???
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:37 AM

Answers

• What Ken says is correct, the XBox 360 is limited in the types of media it supports, however when you pair it with Orb running on WHS it opens it up to many possibilities.

My example:

I converted my two car garage into a game/rec room for my kids, the XBox 360 is out there.
    In my living room I have a Directv DVR with media share capabilties, in my bedroom I have my TV connected to a computer.

In all three places (and anywhere on the web) I can access my many music files (mp3, mp4, etc..), my many movie files (avi, mpeg, etc..), and all my digital photos in dolby or HD (if recorded that way).

This past halloween, I used the xbox connected through an old stereo system & speakers and the wireless controller to remotely control my creepy halloween music to the front yard (and most of the neighborhood).

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    all depends from your needs and preferences (and the budget ...).

The XBox 360 is a gaming console, which also offers good capabilities to playback media files (movies, music etc) and stream contents from MediaCenter PCs. In this context WHS is also able to share folders for media, to which the XBox 360 has access.

So what is for one an interesting, usefull or even necessary feature, is of no interest for other people. Is it great or not? I don't know, since I don't own a XBox 360.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:18 AM
  • I do own an Xbox 360. It's nice to be able to play media files, I suppose, but the Xbox only supports a limited range of media types, and in some cases the format isn't supported all that well (very old codecs, for example). It's not a "killer app" for WHS if you have another media sharing solution that you like; where WHS will fit into that scenario is as additional storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:12 PM
  • What Ken says is correct, the XBox 360 is limited in the types of media it supports, however when you pair it with Orb running on WHS it opens it up to many possibilities.

My example:

I converted my two car garage into a game/rec room for my kids, the XBox 360 is out there.
    In my living room I have a Directv DVR with media share capabilties, in my bedroom I have my TV connected to a computer.

In all three places (and anywhere on the web) I can access my many music files (mp3, mp4, etc..), my many movie files (avi, mpeg, etc..), and all my digital photos in dolby or HD (if recorded that way).

This past halloween, I used the xbox connected through an old stereo system & speakers and the wireless controller to remotely control my creepy halloween music to the front yard (and most of the neighborhood).

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:22 PM
  • i love the 360 i just don't have time to utilize it as much as i used to...for those people who don't have a vista or Media Center pc at every TV like i do it can work as Media Center Extender for the TVs without a PC attached.  With WHS or just using it on your home network you can stream content from other PC's and the internet.  You can rent/buy movies from MS and even use your Netflix account to watch movies over the internet.  Connect a TV tuner to one of your networked tv and record your programs and watch them later for time-shifting.  Play your music library stored on your WHS or other pc's.  Like stated before it has it's limits but overall it's a great piece of hardware to have around.  MS has marketed this box as the hub for your home entertainment system and it can be it just depends on what your needs are and if it's worth the investment.  They are very affordable now on ebay for refurbished and used items $100-$200.  And yes it does play games...if your not a big gamer you can download cheaper and more family friendly games to play, there are lots of old skool titles out there...Frogger, Pac-Man etc and original Arcade games made for the Xbox like Zuma, Bejeweled, AstroPop. 
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:53 PM