Problem with record windows minimizing on their own RRS feed

• Question

• So lately I have been noticing anytime I have a CRM record window open and I go to add a lookup reference value to a field the window just minimizes itself. This has be come increasingly annoying especially for people adding opportunity products when each time they add a product or uom the window minimizes and they have to go find it and pull it back up. (This happens on just about every entity I've noticed when selecting a lookup value for a field on the record).

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue or now why it is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Are you getting any error message?

2. What is the version / deployment and rollup of crm?

3. Its specific to some users?

Regards,

Prabhu G

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:54 AM
  • 1.There are no error messages. Happens a lot when I am in the customize record screen as well. When I click "ok" it will minimize the customization screen. So for example I am editing the account form, I open up the name field and make a change and click "ok" it minimizes that screen as expected but then also minimizes the account form screen as well.

2. Server and Client are on RU15

3. It is all users.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:38 PM
  • The more this happens I am starting to see a pattern here and I think I know the issue but no clue on how to solve it. With the RU15 additional windows open additional tabs in the start menu bar. Whenever there are more than one additional  records open and I select a lookup, or close a record it defaults me back to the crm home page in Outlook, minimizing the parent record. It is extremely annoying. Is there a way to turn on this new feature or any solutions to preventing this from happening?

Friday, December 13, 2013 5:12 PM
  • I am not following the issue you are reporting.  Can you provide a set of steps that you take and the result you are getting that is not working for you.  Please included the browser version you are using as well.

I don't believe there has been window behavior differences introduced in the Update Rollup so I wonder if something has changed in the browser you are using.  Please ensure you try the steps in IE and Chrome to see if the behavior is the same.

Regards, Donna

Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hello Donna, the issue do not exist in any browsers, we use on premise with the Outlook plugin. The screenshot provided above shows Outlook open and then two additional records in the CRM open. Previous to us updating to RU15 all CRM records opened with the same icon display as the Outlook icon. Now however, each additional CRM record opens a new icon with the display of the CRM record icon. (shown above).

Here is an example. I am in Outlook and I click on our CRM and it takes me to the main navigation area of the CRM. I open an opportunity and now an additional tab icon opens up with a new opportunity record. Next I want to add an opportunity product so I click new opportunity product and a second CRM window opens up with a blank new opportunity product record. Now I would click the existing products lookup button and another window opens with the options of existing products to add. I click the existing product I want to add, the existing product window closes (as expected), but then the opportunity product window minimizes, the opportunity window minimizes, and it takes me back to Outlook. Now I go find the opportunity products window and open it back up. The existing product is selected and then if I go add the Unit of Measure and follow the same steps it does the exact same thing. Any time a record is selected it minimizes all CRM windows and defaults back to displaying the main CRM page in Outlook.

This is very frustrating for myself, because you constantly have to go find the record you are working on after it gets minimized. Hopefully I was able to explain it a little more clearly.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:01 PM
  • That does provide some clarity.  The behavior you are describing has to do with how you have IE configured to open new windows in a tab, I suspect.  Try changing IE to open new windows in a new window and see if you get a different experience.   The behavior you are describing has not changed with UR 15.  It could have changed with one of the Windows Updates for the OS or IE. 

Just so you know, I have not experienced the same behavior of windows minimizes and haven't heard of others experiencing it yet.  As a side note, which version of IE are you using and do you get the same behavior when you use Chrome?

Regards, Donna

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Donna thanks again for your reply. I am not understanding what the connection would be between IE or Chrome and Outlook? Because we use on premise no one really uses IE or Chrome to access the CRM. If I open up IE or Chrome I don't have any issues as described above. They only occur in Outlook, but that is where everyone works from.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 6:11 PM
  • I understand you are using Outlook.  Having said that, Outlook leverages IE when opening records.  Outlook doesn't have an Opportunity, Opportunity Detail or Product form.  Those are being opened in IE.  That is why I suspect this is an IE behavior issue.  Recently, IE 11 was introduced to user machines through Windows Update. Unfortunately IE 11 is not yet supported by CRM. I'm not saying this is an IE 11 issue but it could be. 

My suggestion is to set your IE behavior to open Windows in a new Window rather than a new Tab and see if you get a different result.

Regards, Donna

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification, that make sense now. I will play around with the settings and see if that solves the issue. Thanks again.
    Monday, December 16, 2013 6:40 PM
  • I tried switching default browsers between Firefox, IE, and Chrome. I also adjusted the settings to open in new window rather than new tab. I am currently running IE9 but others with the same problem are running IE10. I noticed the issue happening immediately after RU15 was installed, before 15 though we were running RU11. Previously all CRM records opened with the Outlook icon, somewhere between 11 and 15 it changed so that crm records now open separately showing the icon of whatever the first entity was that was opened. The image above shows what I am trying to explain. We have been experiencing several issues since updating to RU15 so it might just end up that we go back to RU11.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:41 PM
  • With regard to the icon change, there were some icon changes presented in one of the Update Rollups.  Having said that, the icon change will not be the direct cause of window minimizing behavior.  Is it possible that you have some JavaScript running in your form?  Is this only happening on the Opportunity record when you go a few related entities deep?

I don't believe switching default browsers will help because the Outlook Client will still use IE I believe.  Sorry to hear that changing the setting did not help.  I encourage you to open a ticket with Microsoft Support as they might be aware of the issue and have a fix.

Regards, Donna

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:47 PM
  • It happens just about on every entity. Even when using advanced find, selecting an option to filter by will minimize all windows once clicking ok. I did notice though that if I have Outlook minimized in the background it will not happen. But if Outlook is pulled up in the background that is when it happens. Then if I just minimize Outlook and work from my records it no longer happens. Seems odd. I will look into opening a ticket with Microsoft. Thanks for all your help.
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:56 PM