does restore suppose to work on a wireless connected computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched and not been able to find anything useful about this. My question is does restore suppose to work on a wireless connected computer or not. I have been using home server every since it was in beta and i haven't found anything useful about this.

I know i can wire the computer and restore, that is what i have been doing, but that is a big time hassle for me, the way and where i am setup 

tna

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:20 PM

Answers

• It is not supposed to work via a wireless connection.   Actually, let me say, that it is not tested or supported...

This is documented in the Windows Home Server help file "How do I Restore a System Volume?" topic.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:35 PM
  • It has been discussed and there are a HUGE number of technical hurdles to overcome to make it work in consumer households that have little or no clue about wireless networking. 

How do you configure wireless settings via the Windows Pre-Installation environment (the thing that boots as the first part of the Home Computer Restore CD?  How do you deal with flaky wireless networks that lose packets during the restore process?  How do you convince people that have 802.11b wireless networks that a restore process is taking a looooonnnnngggg time because there wireless network is slow?

It is on the list of scenarios to eventually solve, but we are blocked from getting started by some of the issues outlined above.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:52 PM
  • This is what I had to do.  Unfortunately, people aren't really considering real world scenarios for Microsoft's target audience when they are "politely" criticizing other's techniques at dealing with wireless.  I also wish we had more "average" users beta testing PP1.  An oxymoron in concept, I know.  But, nice if it were possible.

In the real world, computer enthusiasts might get wireless because it's cool or because they want to play with the technology.  However, non-computer-enthusiasts get it because they don't have a choice:  for example, multiple floors or attic space that isn't able to be wired (so you have to destroy a wall portion to run cat5).  Therein lies the problem - you can't easily deal with these situations in a desktop scenario.  Using your electrical outlet is the only real alternative here.  I know several people (as in about a dozen) that won't use WHS because of the lack of wireless support (and believe me, these people don't care about it being slow).  It has helped to teach them about running ethernet over power.

It would be nice if these alternatives, and the situation as a whole, were better explained in the documentation (or even in a separate warning sleave) to the "average" home user.  As it is, the documentation is NOT clear to a non-techy person.  I almost always have to explain it.

As for my own scenario, I have a 2 story townhouse.  The entire setup is wireless (only Cat5 cable from the router is the one to WHS).  I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops, in addition to WHS.  Also have 2 multifunction wireless printers.  Everything works beautifully and runs very speedy.  My only problem is with restores, which the power option alleviates for me for now.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:35 PM

All replies

• It is not supposed to work via a wireless connection.   Actually, let me say, that it is not tested or supported...

This is documented in the Windows Home Server help file "How do I Restore a System Volume?" topic.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Thanks Ted, I know you can't talk about future features, but can you say if it has even been discussed

tna

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:38 PM
  • It has been discussed and there are a HUGE number of technical hurdles to overcome to make it work in consumer households that have little or no clue about wireless networking. 

How do you configure wireless settings via the Windows Pre-Installation environment (the thing that boots as the first part of the Home Computer Restore CD?  How do you deal with flaky wireless networks that lose packets during the restore process?  How do you convince people that have 802.11b wireless networks that a restore process is taking a looooonnnnngggg time because there wireless network is slow?

It is on the list of scenarios to eventually solve, but we are blocked from getting started by some of the issues outlined above.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:52 PM
  • It would be cool to do a restore wirelessly, and I've restored my laptop three times now (testing purposes and one screw up...LOL)  I have my whole house wired and have a wifi setup for the one laptop.  When I do a restore on the laptop....I just grab the extra cat 5 cable I have hanging from the back of my desk for just such an occasion. Plug it in and restore. Done. 

I mean no disrespect by this question, but don't you have a single cat 5 cable on the back of your router you can plug into your laptop for a restore? I have one extra set up for a friend or family members pc for repairs or to restore the laptop. Plus, it's faster  

But, You did say your set up makes this difficult, but I guess I'm puzzled by how that is difficult..
    Ahh, Unless you are wirelessly connected in a different building and sharing a buddy's connection.  That would pose an issue when you have to knock on his door at 2 am for an extension cable...LOL.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Yeah i went a little overboard with how difucult it is. I apoligize to the group for that. Very tired when i posted. I usually don't post in ng's when i am that tired. I almost allways word my posts wrong if i do and don't take the time to correct the wording

Yes i have cat5, that is what i  use when i need  to resore . I have to at present, unhook cat5 from one of the server's to run to the wireless computer. It is the only cat5 that's long enough. My four router cat5 plugs are full.

The wireless machine is a desktop, not a laptop

Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:11 AM
  • An alternative to the problematic possibilities of WiFi, is to use Ethernet over Powerline units. They have been mentioned a few times on here, with people having success doing a restore via them.

Colin

Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:16 AM
  • This is what I had to do.  Unfortunately, people aren't really considering real world scenarios for Microsoft's target audience when they are "politely" criticizing other's techniques at dealing with wireless.  I also wish we had more "average" users beta testing PP1.  An oxymoron in concept, I know.  But, nice if it were possible.

In the real world, computer enthusiasts might get wireless because it's cool or because they want to play with the technology.  However, non-computer-enthusiasts get it because they don't have a choice:  for example, multiple floors or attic space that isn't able to be wired (so you have to destroy a wall portion to run cat5).  Therein lies the problem - you can't easily deal with these situations in a desktop scenario.  Using your electrical outlet is the only real alternative here.  I know several people (as in about a dozen) that won't use WHS because of the lack of wireless support (and believe me, these people don't care about it being slow).  It has helped to teach them about running ethernet over power.

It would be nice if these alternatives, and the situation as a whole, were better explained in the documentation (or even in a separate warning sleave) to the "average" home user.  As it is, the documentation is NOT clear to a non-techy person.  I almost always have to explain it.

As for my own scenario, I have a 2 story townhouse.  The entire setup is wireless (only Cat5 cable from the router is the one to WHS).  I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops, in addition to WHS.  Also have 2 multifunction wireless printers.  Everything works beautifully and runs very speedy.  My only problem is with restores, which the power option alleviates for me for now.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:35 PM