demigrator won't run after a re-install RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running the evaluation version of WHS for the past couple of months without issues.  I've now purchased a copy, and my understanding was, you can't just upgrade the existing install, you have to do a re-install to get the licensed version running(!).  So I did that, following the same steps as my original install (to the best of my recollection).  I have some a an external drive enclosure that is attached to an add-on esata card, so I have to add the drivers for that card during install, but other than that, it's fairly straightforward.   But now I get multiple errors when WHS ultimately boots... the preserver service hits an error and has to close, and same with demigrator.  Looking at the services, it appears that whsarch does actually start, but there are a bunch of errors in the event log for it.  There are also some errors that state: "Unexpected error 0x2 from GetVolumeNameForMountPoint: The system cannot find the file specified." 

When I look at the console, the external drives are in the pool fine, but the two internal drives that were in the pool are still listed as "storage hard drives", but their status is listed as "not added".  Right clicking on those two drive only gives a remove button:  add and repair are grayed out.  I can open and view those drives in the Server 2003 file explorer, so they are attached and visible to the system, but the WHS services seem unable to mount them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:15 PM

Answers

• I've been running the evaluation version of WHS for the past couple of months without issues.  I've now purchased a copy, and my understanding was, you can't just upgrade the existing install, you have to do a re-install to get the licensed version running(!).  So I did that, following the same steps as my original install (to the best of my recollection).  I have some a an external drive enclosure that is attached to an add-on esata card, so I have to add the drivers for that card during install, but other than that, it's fairly straightforward.   But now I get multiple errors when WHS ultimately boots... the preserver service hits an error and has to close, and same with demigrator.  Looking at the services, it appears that whsarch does actually start, but there are a bunch of errors in the event log for it.  There are also some errors that state: "Unexpected error 0x2 from GetVolumeNameForMountPoint: The system cannot find the file specified." 

When I look at the console, the external drives are in the pool fine, but the two internal drives that were in the pool are still listed as "storage hard drives", but their status is listed as "not added".  Right clicking on those two drive only gives a remove button:  add and repair are grayed out.  I can open and view those drives in the Server 2003 file explorer, so they are attached and visible to the system, but the WHS services seem unable to mount them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    I would suggest you try another Server Reinstallation.  Make sure all of your drives are visible doing the initial GUI portion of the install, as well as during the text portion of the install (which occurs after the first reboot).  Also, any drivers you need to supply during the GUI portion may (probably) also need to be supplied during the text portion (where there is a small time frame that you need to press F6 to add drivers).  Note that on the second time, you will probably need to supply drivers from a floppy drive.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:56 PM

All replies

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    I would suggest you try another Server Reinstallation.  Make sure all of your drives are visible doing the initial GUI portion of the install, as well as during the text portion of the install (which occurs after the first reboot).  Also, any drivers you need to supply during the GUI portion may (probably) also need to be supplied during the text portion (where there is a small time frame that you need to press F6 to add drivers).  Note that on the second time, you will probably need to supply drivers from a floppy drive.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:56 PM
  • I would suggest you try another Server Reinstallation.  ...

Well, that's what I ended up doing.  I tried doing the F6 during the text portion, but it would never recognize it.  It alwayas continued on.  Perhaps that was the problem, but I don't remember adding  the drivers a second time during the evaluation install.  Regardless, this time, after the first reboot where it starts trying to boot the first time off the hard drive, I got a blue screen error.  After that, it was all over.  Since the original OS was gone, I could never get the re-install option back.  The only choice was a new install.  So I had to do that, and juggle data around drives from the pool to prevent losing data.  Too bad, it was a nice weekend too.  Mostly spent just trying to upgrade to the licensed version.

I just don't understand how a re-install can be the simple solution to a failed system drive many make it out to be.  If the system drive is dead, and a new drive put in it's place, seems to me that a new install would be the only option (based on my experience).  Which means juggling data around to try to avoid losing it.  At least in my case, the system drive wasn't really dead, and I was able to pull it out and use the "D" drive as a master list of files I needed to make sure I found on all the other drives.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Make sure that no Eventlogs are full, save and emty them all. Demigrator would not run with my WHS, but after
    emtying the full Eventlogs it started like a charm.

WHS Mannen
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:46 PM