Backup PCs, Backup WHS question RRS feed

• Question

• I want to backup my PC backups (on WHS) to an external drive using the WHS backup.  Is this possible?

My logic is, if my PCs are backed up on my WHS and it fails, then I lose my PC backups also.

Thanks in advance for you help and time.

Jim
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:49 AM

Answers

• lol !   Not clear to me.  I performed a test last night and that's what happened!  It copied the data from the USB external drive TO the server.

In my world of IT, that's called a "restore".

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Jim Merva Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,
    there is an Add-In, which allows you to copy the backup database to an external drive: WHS BDBB.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

I'm new to WHS so I'm still discoverying the best way the manage the system.  I will check out the WHS BDBB Add-In, thank you.  Before you replied, I was thinking abount creating a batch file that will copy the backups to a Shared Folder each night and then the One Touch Server backup will back up the backed up PC backups also.  What do you think?

Greetings from El Segundo California!

Jim
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:42 AM
  • You could do that, but WHS BDBB can do that for you too :)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Thank you.   I failed to mention I have an Acer easyStore H340 that provides a One Touch USB Backup capability.  I'm waiting for Tech Support to email me back but the more I look into this, it appears the One Touch USB Backup will backup "all" data regaurdless if it resides in a shared folder or not.

When I get the answer from Acer Tech Support I will post it here.

Thanks for your help.

Jim
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Jim, the manual for your Acer server makes clear that the "one touch" feature is to copy data from your USB drive to your server's shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:22 PM
  • lol !   Not clear to me.  I performed a test last night and that's what happened!  It copied the data from the USB external drive TO the server.

In my world of IT, that's called a "restore".

Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Jim
    • Marked as answer by Jim Merva Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Actually, I think it's crystal clear in the manual. See page 105: "The USB backup button on the front panel allows you to backup data from a USB storage device to the home server." 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:39 PM
  • Well it's clear to me now.  But when I was quickly looking through the server's documents I saw "Server" "One Touch Backup".  Personally I think backing up the complete server with a single touch of a button is what the Home Market needs.   Backup your PCs to the server and then press one button to backup the server to an external USB... now that capability will sell Windows Home Servers, especially in this price range. 

Either way, thank you for clearing this up for me.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:39 AM