Problem with non genuine windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Hope this post is in the right place.

I bought a pc from pc world a few years ago with a genuine copy of Windows xp home edition. The product key is on a small sticker/certificate stuck onto the side of my pc tower.

Last year my pc broke down and a pc repair man we know had given my uncle a disc which I have here in front of me: "Windows XP + service pack 2". The disc worked great to restore my PC, however I now want to install updates including Internet Explorer 7, and on doing so have been informed the copy of windows I am running is not genuine. I thought, OK no problem, as I have the original, genuine product key. HOWEVER, the copy of Windows XP now installed on my computer is flippin' Professional so the Product Key is coming up as invalid.

Am at a loss as to what to do!

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Gemma

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:29 AM

Answers

•  Gemma Beglan wrote:

I am not sure if I ever had a CD or if it was pre-installed on the computer but I will look into that.

One thing - if I do that, will it delete all my current files?

Regards,

Gemma

Gemma Beglan wrote:

Sorry, also, have been thinking about purchasing Windows Vista (genuine of course) so just wondered if I installed this as is now, would that be ok, or would I need to install genuine XP first?

Regards,

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

If your computer came preinstalled with XP Home, you may have received a "Repair Disk" or "Restore Disk" that you can convert your current install back to XP Home and your product Key will work. It's most likely that the process would delete your current files. To be on the safe side, always backup your important files to some form of removable media (i.e. CD, DVD, external hard drive, flash dive...so on) before doing anything drastic to your Windows.

If you do not have a repair or restore disk, you may be able to get one from the manufacturer of the computer.

You could upgrade to Vista, but just make sure that your computer meets the requirerments before you buy. Again,always backup your important files to some form of removable media before doing anything drastic to your Windows.

Thanks,
    Darin

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:37 PM

All replies

• You would need to perform a "clean install" using your genuine Windows XP Home Edition CD.

Clean Install Windows XP: http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply!

I am not sure if I ever had a CD or if it was pre-installed on the computer but I will look into that.

Regards,

Gemma

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:42 AM
  • Sorry, also, have been thinking about purchasing Windows Vista (genuine of course) so just wondered if I installed this as is now, would that be ok, or would I need to install genuine XP first?

Regards,

Gemma

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:01 AM
  •  Gemma Beglan wrote:

Regards,

Gemma

Gemma Beglan wrote:

Sorry, also, have been thinking about purchasing Windows Vista (genuine of course) so just wondered if I installed this as is now, would that be ok, or would I need to install genuine XP first?

Regards,

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

If your computer came preinstalled with XP Home, you may have received a "Repair Disk" or "Restore Disk" that you can convert your current install back to XP Home and your product Key will work. It's most likely that the process would delete your current files. To be on the safe side, always backup your important files to some form of removable media (i.e. CD, DVD, external hard drive, flash dive...so on) before doing anything drastic to your Windows.

If you do not have a repair or restore disk, you may be able to get one from the manufacturer of the computer.

You could upgrade to Vista, but just make sure that your computer meets the requirerments before you buy. Again,always backup your important files to some form of removable media before doing anything drastic to your Windows.

Thanks,
    Darin

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:37 PM