More direct "JBOD" approach option! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

From what I can gather, moving files to the server fills up the data partition and starts distributing files onto different disks.
    This is a real pain when you've got 4TB of data that you want to transfer to the server, but only a 160GB system drive and 10x 500GB disks.

If I've understood this right, it will fill up the ~130GB data partition on the system drive, then use some time to spread the files to other disks, and eventually there will be enough space on the data partition for me to move more files over. This will take me a good 30 batches though.

How about a simple and plain JBOD approach? The files moved are stored directly onto the different disks?

- Rexxars
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:45 PM

All replies

• Rex, it sounds like you haven't installed or used (much, anyway) WHS. You might want to install it and experiment with it a little. I don't think you'll find the concept of the system drive as the landing zone for everything as constricting as you seem to imagine. The main restriction is that you can't copy more than the free space on the system drive in a single shot, i.e. in one drag and drop operation, but I doubt that you're going to be copying all those terabytes in one shot.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Rex,

Further to what Ken says, Microsoft, in their documentation and elsewhere, recommend that at the time of building your server, the system disk should be the largest disk you have available. That's exactly because of the transfer problems you mention. Your arrangement doesn't appear to be set up like that. If your finding that the transfers are really a hassle, I would upgrade that system disk to a larger one. Otherwise, it's just a matter of waiting! The one consolation is that you should only be loading so much data once.

Colin

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:20 PM