Synchronize folders from local pc to whs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a very large music collection (500+ albums) I would like to store both on my local PC using an external USB and also in the music folder of the my WHS.  I would like to use this setup so that I could do the 1000s of tag updates needed using my local PC and then have those files synch to the WHS so I could use access the music via MCE from WHS. I would also like this because it would offer an extra level of backups.

I've read a  bunch of posts and seem to find conflicting and worrysome information about synchronization. Many seem to recommend synchtoy 2.0 but there also seems to be an equal number of reports of people having serious problems doing that.

Ideally, I would like to find a WHS add-in that worked mostly seamlessly. But can anyone recommend what is the best approach to synchronization?

Thanks a lot

Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:24 AM

Answers

• Just following up on some old posts. The solution I used was Rich Copy. It has worked out great.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:15 PM

All replies

• Robocopy is your friend here. I use it nightly to replicate/sync terrabytes of music files on my network.

-CB

Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:05 AM
  • SyncToy 2.1 works just fine. No issues and very easy to configure. A couple of scripts to automate your backup and job is a good 'un.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am always amazed by how knowledgeable and generous people in this forum are. Or maybe it's more accurate to say I amazed every day to learn how little I actually know.

I started researching your suggestion and came upon a GUI version of Robocopy. That then lead me to RichCopy 4.0 which appears like the best thing, short of an add-on, that I could have asked for. It's got a simple UI, offers multi-threaded copying, allows for pausing, etc...

If anyone has any experience with RichCopy they want to share, especially thing to watch out for, that input would be very welcome. But from my limited testing, this seems like it will be a pretty good solution.

Thanks again,

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hesitant to use SyncToy because of all the negative things I've read about it. I do see a lot of people who swear by it though. So I may come back to it later, but for now I  think I'm going to try Robocopy or RichCopy.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:49 PM
  • The "issues" you refer to were a very old beta copy I think. Never read of anyone having issues for the last two versions. Even WHS has issues in the first release! I've used it for two yeards without a single problem and the big plus is that it is very easy to set up.  
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Just following up on some old posts. The solution I used was Rich Copy. It has worked out great.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:15 PM