back-up only backs up 1 of my simply accounting databases RRS feed

• Question

• I have ASC files (simply accounting database for ver 7)  I have more then one of these but for some reason, Onecare only backs one of them up.  Why does that happen?  The file names used are:
    lindon~1.asc  (this one backs-up)
    &
    fraser~1.asc (this one doesn't backup)

Any Ideas? 
    Friday, January 9, 2009 11:42 PM

Answers

• I'm actually surprised that one of the files is backed up. OneCare will not normally backup any files located in \Windows or \Program Files. Data should not be stored in these folder trees. If you move them to another location outside of these folders, they will likely be backed up. Check your program options for the accounting software to see if you can specify a different location for these data files. If you can't, you will need to copy them manually to another folder for them to be backed up by OneCare.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:19 PM

All replies

• Where are these files located on the PC and how do you know that they are not being backed up?
    -steve
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:38 AM
  • These files are stored in the same folder (c:\programfiles\winsim\data.  I went to check what files could be restored by way of custom restore methood.  You can type the name of file to see your restore options.  In my case, I typed *.asc to see if both company files were being backed up.  It showed that only the one company database was being backed up.  I then tried searching the full anem and it turned up as non-existant for the one other asc file.  I wish I could specifically add a file to the backup cycle.  ANy ideas? 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:14 PM
  • I'm actually surprised that one of the files is backed up. OneCare will not normally backup any files located in \Windows or \Program Files. Data should not be stored in these folder trees. If you move them to another location outside of these folders, they will likely be backed up. Check your program options for the accounting software to see if you can specify a different location for these data files. If you can't, you will need to copy them manually to another folder for them to be backed up by OneCare.

-steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:19 PM
  • That would explane it then.  There is a good chance that the file that is successfully being backed up; is stored in multiple locations because of the computer user.  (ie...maybe they copied it at one point to a location outside of the program files folder to send to an accountant or soemthing)  I will re-locate the files into a documents folder or something.  Thanks for the help! 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 10:20 PM
  • That was my assumption, too. If that's a copy of the original data file, located outside of the restricted folders, it would be backed up. Good luck and you're welcome.
    -steve
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:07 PM