Can I use the book “MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-561): Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 ADO.NET Application Development” to prepare for exam 70-516 (TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Exam 70-516 (TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4) has its own preparation book which is “MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-516): Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4”. The question is that I just checked and this book will only be available on July-2011 on both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk and I would like to take my exam 70-516 before that date.

I compared the table of contents of the book “MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-561): Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 ADO.NET Application Development Book” with the skills measured for exam 70-516 that are mentioned on Microsoft Certification’s website and it looks that there is some overlap. However, I would like some feedback from someone who preferably has already taken the exam 70-516.

I also find this great website with exam 70-516 objectives with MSDN links:

http://blog.ondrejsv.com/post/Exam-70-516-objectives-with-MSDN-links.aspx

Thank you.

Best regards,

Miguel T.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Miguel,

The main difference is the Entity Frameword, otherwise 70-561 should be good.

I used this and

Manning.com

Entity Framework in Action - ebook only as not yet published but can get early edition

also

O'Reilly publishers

Programming Entity Framework 2nd Ed

and of course the MSDN, plus I bought the measureup.com practice questions.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel T. _ Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Miguel,

The main difference is the Entity Frameword, otherwise 70-561 should be good.

I used this and

Manning.com

Entity Framework in Action - ebook only as not yet published but can get early edition

also

O'Reilly publishers

Programming Entity Framework 2nd Ed

and of course the MSDN, plus I bought the measureup.com practice questions.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miguel T. _ Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Ozzy,

Great to hear that. I will get this book instead to study for exam 70-516. The table of contents of the preparation book for exam 70-561 also includes a chapter about the entity framework, chapter 9 “Using the Entity Framework” but maybe is not detailed enough. I also have and read “Programming Entity Framework” by Julia Lerman. This book could also be helpful.

Do you think that you could possibly take a quick look at the following thread with the title “ Which path should I choose towards obtaining the MCPD Windows Developer 4 certification?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/CertGeneral/thread/edd5e4a2-a89d-4c99-aa56-bb7adfa8b12f

It’s just because in this post I changed opinions with you several times but after all, I completely changed my strategy for the Microsoft Certifications’ exams after some additional thoughts. In fact, I have created this post just due to the fact that I changed all my original strategy.

If it’s not possible is not a problem. I hope that I am not being incorrect to you or to the forum by asking you this.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Miguel T.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:21 AM
  • hi Ozzy Geoff,

Could you pass me the measureup.com practice questions.

also,

I have downloaded the O'Relly Book. But I did not Get the CD.

Please help me.

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry the measureup.com practice questions are copyright so cannot send.

If you have purchased the eBook from Oreilly web site then contact their customer service quoting your Invoice reference, the Microsoft CD should be available for download.

Also note that the 70-516 MCTS Self-Paced Training kit is now available.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:42 AM
  • hi ozzy,

I did not purchase the Book. I downloaded the Ebook.

I wanted to practice the exam.

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry if you did not purchase the ebook then I can only suggest you purchase the official ebook.  I do not break copyright, not only is it illegal but both the quality and production of learning material requires sales.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:02 PM