Can WHS act as an applicaiton server? RRS feed

• Question

• Why have office installed on my home computers, when I can install it on a single server, and use it centrally?

is this possible??.. would be so much easier to have my core applications hosted and accessed on ther server...

DrSoton
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks...!!
    DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 PM

All replies

• You can install apps on the home server and use a remote desktop connection to use the app from other workstations.

Of course, I must give you the standard disclaimer..."Microsoft does not support the use of WHS as an application server."
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:54 PM
  • So it cant be used like a termianl server, by simply having an icon on my pc, pointing to the the exe on the server??

I fully understand the disclaimer!!!, im just an extremely curious kind of person!!!

DrSoton
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Well WHS is just a windows 2003 server. So as long as you have software that will provide this capability then the sky is the limit!
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Thanks...!!
    DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:13 PM
  • The answer is that enabling roles on your home server other than those enabled by Microsoft is a violation (and not just a "technical violation", in my opinion) of the EULA that you agree to when you install WHS or go through the out-of-box-experience GUI for an OEM product like the HP MediaSmart Server. "Application server" is such a role. In addition, you are likely going to be violating the EULA for the applications you install on the server and access through remote desktop, unless you purchase multi-user licenses for such software.

So no, you may not do this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:05 PM
  • So from a technical standpoint it is feasible but from a licensing standpoint it is ill advised. Thanks for clarifying the licensing Ken. It is always tricky to balance technical requirements and licensing issues.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:40 PM