Moving entire WHS setup to a new board? Trouble ahead? RRS feed

• Question

• The motherboard I had picked for my WHS box turns out to have been a poor choice (cheap board, poor performance).

The current setup is a board with 2 SATA's and an additional PCI card with 4 more SATA's.

If I move the whole thing to a new board with 6 on-board sata's, will a server reinstall go smooth, or am I in for trouble? Or will a reinstall go ok if I make sure the current boot drive gets setup as it is?

The drives are not in RAID.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:40 PM

Answers

• The motherboard I had picked for my WHS box turns out to have been a poor choice (cheap board, poor performance).

The current setup is a board with 2 SATA's and an additional PCI card with 4 more SATA's.

If I move the whole thing to a new board with 6 on-board sata's, will a server reinstall go smooth, or am I in for trouble?

Or will a reinstall go ok if I make sure the current boot drive gets setup as it is?

The drives are not in RAID.

As long as you provide the SATA drivers so the OEM DVD can see all of the drives (or change your the SATA ports in the BIOS to IDE/Legacy mode) and your primary hard drive is plugged into the first port, you should be ok.  NOTE:  If you have to provide drivers for your hard drives during the GUI portion, you will probably need to provide those drivers again after the first reboot (during the text portion of the install) by pressing F6 when it asks to provide additional drivers and you will need a floppy drive for this.  (If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option, don't proceed because New Installation will wipe everything.)

Also, moving your OEM license from one system to another is not allowed and MS has the right to not allow you to activate your license again.  Having said that, other users have done exactly what you're doing and MS allowed it.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 4:06 PM