none
Does WHS put the hardware hosting WHS to sleep? RRS feed

• Question

• Does WHS put components of the server hardware to sleep when not in use, primarily hard drives? I jumped the gun and bought four Caviar Black 1TB hard drives, they cost the same as the Caviar Green ones ($89). In hindsight I should have gone with the green for power savings. I did get an Antec Greenwatts power supply though.

I have a watt meter (unfortunately doesn't have peak watts feature) and monitor if it varies much. I'm hoping it will draw less than 100W idle.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• Have you enabled CnQ?
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    • Marked as answer by MarkBx Monday, July 27, 2009 5:40 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:42 AM

All replies

• WHS does not enable any power savings.

You can manually enable the disk turn off (control panel->power options).
    A value of 5 minutes is required, otherwise the disk will never spin down.
    This affects only the data disks, teh system disk will always be active.

The drawback of this is a high rate of start/stop cycles which could decrease the disks livetime.

When you want to save energy have a look at LightsOut.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Thanks. I'll evaluate the power usage and see where it's at. I'm thinking that I might at most be able to save 20W with new hardware, which isn't worth the investment.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Got my server installed in my new hardware.

Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 65W
    2x1GB DDR2 800
    4 x 1TB WD Caviar Black
    Onboard ethernet, video

Off the wall draw at idle is about 60W. Not too shabby.
    • Unmarked as answer by MarkBx Monday, July 27, 2009 5:40 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Have you enabled CnQ?
    Friday, July 24, 2009 5:42 AM
  • No. How do I enable it? Only driver I see from AMD is from 2005 and says for Win 95, 98, ME and 2000 and don't have the "minimal power management" option in power options.

edit: Nevermind, I downloaded AMD Power Monitor and it looks like it's already active. 1000MHz @ idle, 2700 MHz at full speed (rated speed for 5200+ Brisbane X2).

Thanks!
    • Edited by MarkBx Monday, July 27, 2009 5:43 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:34 PM
  • my server is running:

an intel atom mobo
    corsair hx520psu
    adaptec 4x sata pci card
    1x seagate 7200.11 320gig hdd (system)
    4x seagate 7200.12 1tb hdd (data)
    2x external hdd
    3x 120mm fans ( 1x on case, and 1x on each of the 4 into 3 hdd caddies )

wall plug power draw with a kill-o-watt is 77w idle

for reference, my desk top is ~117w
    asus p5e64 ws evo
    asus gfx card
    seagate 7200.12 1tb
    4x 120mm fans
    win 7 RC
    ----

i use lightsout to control the server
    ----

mobo will soon be changing to a supermicro x7sla
    still atom based, but has
    2x ddr2 memory slots
    4x sata on-board
    1x pci
    1x pcie 8x
    1x pcie 4x
    at the same time will change to a supermicro 8x sata pci card

will also be using seagate 7200.4 laptop hard drive for system, and seagate LP hard drives for data.  waiting on the 2TB to become somewhat more affordable.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Interesting, considering your an Atom mobo/cpu, I'm surprised my system is running low 60's with 5 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD's using "Kill-O-Watt".

Since I  will be using my Home Server to store and use photos, music, etc I'm not sure if Lights Out makes much sense to me now. During the day it's used either by me or my wife. And at night used for backups. Can't quite find good times to sleep the WHS!
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:29 AM

• Since I  will be using my Home Server to store and use photos, music, etc I'm not sure if Lights Out makes much sense to me now. During the day it's used either by me or my wife. And at night used for backups. Can't quite find good times to sleep the WHS!

At night? Backups really don't take long. Set lights out to go to sleep when no clients are connected, but be on during backup period. You can also set specific times of day during which it will stay one, regardless of connections.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Have you enabled CnQ?
    What is CnQ?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Cool and Quite, requires Bios support and a processor driver from AMD.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:21 PM
  • Cool and Quite, requires Bios support and a processor driver from AMD.

Thanks
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:48 AM