Slow OneCare virus scan RRS feed

• Question

• well I got this laptop, im cleaning it with OneCare Live! I upgraded from XP PRO Sp1-Sp2. upgraded  to IE8. Took out viruses 
    Backdoor Win32 Yewbmoat
    Trojan Win32/Fursto.gen!A                    X3
    Trojan Proxy Server Win32/Verind.A      X2
    Trojan Downloader Win32/Small.gen!F    X2
    Backdoor Win32/Ppdoor.Av
    Trojan     Win32/Adailer
    All that took a while to clean because its an old system and the infection had spread to the program files
    With That my Iexplorer8 is running to a standard level 
    Now the problem is OneCare Virus scanner, it is dead slow, started 7-8 PM-----7%  7 PM The Next day..... its 8 GB of Used Hard Drive Space
    The First Time I am running the Full-Quick System scanner and the other times were through OneCare Live installation and IE8 uprade installation.
    Now the system has 256 mb RAM and 8 years old. 
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:28 AM

Answers

• Your memory is actually below the minimum requirements for OneCare since part of that RAM is likely being used for graphics. You can contact support as Jim noted, to see if there is a conflicting program present, but I suspect that the performance problem is simply due to very low resources. If you cannot add memory to that PC, you may want to consider an alternative antivirus solution. Avast, www.avast.com, seems to work well on older PCs and provides decent detection and protection. The real benefit is that it is free.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:12 PM

All replies