none
MCSE 2003 Still Valid? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to know the answer of below mentioned questions...

1- Whether MCSE 2003 Certification is still valid or it will get expire in the coming years?

2- Do I need to upgrade to MCSE: Server infrastructure?

Please suggest me the best option for the  upgrade path to MCSE: Server Infrastructure or I have to do the same certification(MCSE: Server Infrastructure) from the scratch.

Thanks in Advance.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi, SARANG-System.

I will answer your questions directly.

1. It is important to keep the terminology correct. None of the Microsoft certification titles ever "expire". Instead, your MCSE 2003 certification title as well as the others you have earned (MCP, MCSA, etc.) will stay on your transcript forever. However, it will eventually be marked as a "Legacy" certification title on your transcript. What's changed is the new MCSE 2012 certification will require you to take a recertification exam three (3) years after you earn the MCSE 2012 title or else it will be marked "Inactive" on your transcript.

2. YES - you can still upgrade from MCSE 2003, but you would have to do it fast. You will need to pass several exams by January 31st, 2014. Unfortunately, that does not leave you much time but, then again, you might be able to pass them without much preparation if you are highly skilled (I make no assumptions).

The following link shows you Microsoft's three (3) upgrade paths for MCSE 2003s, but only the last one is valid in your case. Note that exams with two (2) asterisks (**) have already retired and are unavailable. The exams with one (1) asterisk will retire on January 31, 2014 (this month!). http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/windows-server-certification.aspx#item-ID0EAAAAACBA

If you take a look at the last upgrade path, you can upgrade to MCITP 2008 with just three exams - 70-647*, 70-649*, and 70-680. If you can pass these three exams before January 31st, 2014, you will earn the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008. Even then, in order to upgrade to MCSA 2012 would require you to pass more exams that expire on January 31, 2014. Ouch!

As suggested by others, your best bet would probably be to start fresh with a new MCSE certification. But there are eight (8) different MCSE titles to choose from! You don't have to go the Server Infrastructure route if you don't want to. That's one advantage of starting over.

Here are all the MCSE certifications:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-certification.aspx

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• 1- The MCSE 2003 certification does not expire. If you have it, you will have it forever. However, as time goes by it will become less and less relevant as Windows Server 2003 installations become obsolete and are phased out.

2- You don't HAVE to upgrade to MCSE: Server infrastructure. But if you wish to have a more current certification then it would be a good idea to upgrade. However, there is no direct upgrade from MCSE 2003 to the new MCSE. The upgrade paths start from version 2008. Unfortunately, you can no longer upgrade from 2003 to 2008. And even if you could, the number of exams required to do one upgrade after the other would probably not be worth the effort. So I am afraid that you are stuck starting from scratch on the MCSE: Server infrastructure.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:01 AM
  • Hi Alberto,

Thanks for your valuable reply....I am MCSE 2003 Certified and now as per your details I have to start from the scratch for MCSE: Server infrastructure.

Thanks...

Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Could u please elaborate the course detail of MCSE:Server Infrastructure?

Thanks in Advance...

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:25 AM
  • Instead of starting from scratch think of this like keeping the knowledge and certification up to date. As new products are being released new certifications are available for those new products.

Exams required for MCSE 2012 are listed here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-server-infrastructure-certification.aspx

Marek Chmel(MVP SQL Server, MCSE SharePoint 2013, MCT, CCNA,CCDA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:28 AM
  • Hi, SARANG-System.

I will answer your questions directly.

1. It is important to keep the terminology correct. None of the Microsoft certification titles ever "expire". Instead, your MCSE 2003 certification title as well as the others you have earned (MCP, MCSA, etc.) will stay on your transcript forever. However, it will eventually be marked as a "Legacy" certification title on your transcript. What's changed is the new MCSE 2012 certification will require you to take a recertification exam three (3) years after you earn the MCSE 2012 title or else it will be marked "Inactive" on your transcript.

2. YES - you can still upgrade from MCSE 2003, but you would have to do it fast. You will need to pass several exams by January 31st, 2014. Unfortunately, that does not leave you much time but, then again, you might be able to pass them without much preparation if you are highly skilled (I make no assumptions).

The following link shows you Microsoft's three (3) upgrade paths for MCSE 2003s, but only the last one is valid in your case. Note that exams with two (2) asterisks (**) have already retired and are unavailable. The exams with one (1) asterisk will retire on January 31, 2014 (this month!). http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/windows-server-certification.aspx#item-ID0EAAAAACBA

If you take a look at the last upgrade path, you can upgrade to MCITP 2008 with just three exams - 70-647*, 70-649*, and 70-680. If you can pass these three exams before January 31st, 2014, you will earn the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008. Even then, in order to upgrade to MCSA 2012 would require you to pass more exams that expire on January 31, 2014. Ouch!

As suggested by others, your best bet would probably be to start fresh with a new MCSE certification. But there are eight (8) different MCSE titles to choose from! You don't have to go the Server Infrastructure route if you don't want to. That's one advantage of starting over.

Here are all the MCSE certifications:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-certification.aspx

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:01 PM
    Answerer