none
Power up issue with the old MediaServer

Question

• Hi all,

I see this forum has some recent activity so I will give this a shot.  My beloved HP Mediasmart server (EX490) will unexpectedly shutdown.  The event log says this is happening between 12 and 2 AM.  I do not have it set to automatically sleep.  When I try to restart it with the power button, nothing happens.  If I disconnect the power, wait some random amount of time more than 20 seconds or so and then reconnect, the strange stuff happens.  

It will almost always at least try to power up.  The blue power light comes on but within a second it shuts down.  Sometimes it doesn't seem like a  second.  Other times it will stay on for 2 or 3 seconds and then shuts down.  When I am lucky it manages to start up, running for a day or two then shutting down again.  When it is running everything seems fine and running within normal parameters (temperatures, voltages, etc.)

It seems to shutoff to quickly to be anything but the power supply, but I suppose it could be something on the mother board. 

Any hints on what I could try.  I have taken the whole thing apart several times so I can dig inside.  Are there some logs I can check or something.  Thanks for any insights!

Tim, aka finnshouse

Friday, January 25, 2019 6:43 PM