Non genuine W7 RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a non genuine copy of Windows 7 installed on my computer and I am planning to get a genuine one; the question is what happens to my data, documents and the other software that I already have in this computer? Thanks.
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 5:41 PM

Answers

• "JonnyTolengo" wrote in message news:766cdded-f93c-4b05-8194-83b0adce8249...
    I currently have a non genuine copy of Windows 7 installed on my computer and I am planning to get a genuine one; the question is what happens to my data, documents and the other software that I already have in this computer? Thanks.

1) how do you know it's non-genuine?
    2) you should ALWAYS do a clean reinstall after a non-genuine discovery - it's almost impossible to ensure that your PC is not infested, otherwise.

Simply using the Change Product Key option will allow you to 'genuine-ise' the current installation - but I would recommend a full reformat/re-install. That option should allow you to also keep all data intact. (NEVER rely on 'should allow'!)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Use several online virus scanners (google on "online virus scanners") and then make a judgment about whether the dvd you used had malware.  If not, just change the product key.  If you still don't trust the installation save your files and settings and start fresh.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:13 PM
    Answerer
  • As sugested below, would recommend a clean install rather than just changing the Product Key.

Use the below article to know how to back up all your data before you format your computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

Monday, May 9, 2011 11:36 AM

All replies

• "JonnyTolengo" wrote in message news:766cdded-f93c-4b05-8194-83b0adce8249...
    I currently have a non genuine copy of Windows 7 installed on my computer and I am planning to get a genuine one; the question is what happens to my data, documents and the other software that I already have in this computer? Thanks.

1) how do you know it's non-genuine?
    2) you should ALWAYS do a clean reinstall after a non-genuine discovery - it's almost impossible to ensure that your PC is not infested, otherwise.

Simply using the Change Product Key option will allow you to 'genuine-ise' the current installation - but I would recommend a full reformat/re-install. That option should allow you to also keep all data intact. (NEVER rely on 'should allow'!)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Use several online virus scanners (google on "online virus scanners") and then make a judgment about whether the dvd you used had malware.  If not, just change the product key.  If you still don't trust the installation save your files and settings and start fresh.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 6:13 PM
    Answerer
  • As sugested below, would recommend a clean install rather than just changing the Product Key.

Use the below article to know how to back up all your data before you format your computer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

Monday, May 9, 2011 11:36 AM