none
Windows XP/ SmartCard doesn't start; error 5

Question

• Hi,
     I'm running XP Pro as admin.
    My SmartCard Service doesn't start automatic. When I try to start manually I receive the error message: error 5 Access denied.

Can someone give me a tip?

Contemplator
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi! This is support forum for Windows Live Writer...

Do you have the latest Service Pack and all updates? You can try (at own risk) commands: "scardsvr uninstall" and then "scardsvr install".
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Hi Contemplator,

Regarding your problem from November 2009, I am having the EXACT same problem as you had, but just logged on my home computer as me, not as Administrator.

Do you recall if you were able to fix this easily? It's maddening. I would love to know what you did to fix it.  The only answer you got here suggested doing "scardsvr uninstall" then "scardsvr install."

After my exhaustive week long online search, I found that exact advice twice, and one of the times is the response you got.  I haven't dared do that since it seems beyond my pay grade of expertise.

I even paid Dell time by the minute and they couldn't figure it out (they installed my Windows XP Professional 32).

Any suggestions? I would LOVE to hear from you! Thanks -

Kimberly

lemons13@pacbell.net

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:17 PM
  •  On 6/26/2010 3:17 PM, Lost in San Diego wrote:

Hi Contemplator,

Regarding your problem from November 2009, I am having the EXACT same problem as you had, but just logged on my home computer as me, not as Administrator.

Do you recall if you were able to fix this easily? It's maddening. I would love to know what you did to fix it.  The only answer you got here suggested doing "scardsvr uninstall" then "scardsvr install."

After my exhaustive week long online search, I found that exact advice twice, and one of the times is the response you got.  I haven't dared do that since it seems beyond my pay grade of expertise.

I even paid Dell time by the minute and they couldn't figure it out (they installed my Windows XP Professional 32).

Any suggestions? I would LOVE to hear from you! Thanks -

Kimberly

lemons13@pacbell.net<mailto:lemons13@pacbell.net>

Hello Kimberly,

May I suggest that you ask this question in the Windows XP forum? This forum is only for Microsoft's blogging software, so we probably won't be able to answer your question.  Also, you could contact the manufacturer of the smart card (assuming it's not built into your computer) and ask them for service.

The forum you probably want is  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xphardware/threads which is their Hardware and Drivers forum for Windows XP.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hello,
    Access Denied means that you have not such high privileges to do that action (user rights, local policy, group policy). Windows XP Professional and Administrator account? It's first time when error appears (first try or this works fine before something)? Is this computer belongs to workgroup or domain (home employee)? Check security and event log on computer. I suggest to do this commands, before it create restore point.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:21 AM