emachines Activation Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Emachines Home Edition SP3.  Had to reinstall the OS after which I see the 30 days to activate in the notificaion area.

I clicked on it, entered the product key from the sticker on the side of the tower, and was informed that it was invalid. I then selected 'Activate By Telephone', spoke the humongous key into the automated system and was again informed that the key was invalid. Calling Microsoft and speaking to a representative, I was told that this was an OEM machine with the key embedded into the motherboard (What that has to do with the price of eggs is a mystery).  I was also told that  there was an long-standing activation problem between emachines and Microsoft, and that I would have to contact emachines, who would then contact Microsoft. After those two had resolved the problem emachines would get back to me with either a new key, or a fix to the existing one.

Anyway, a call to emachines (the only number I could find is 866-586-2237) only gets me a god-awful automated system. The automaton prompts me to enter the SNID on the sticker. Then the automaton tells me that my computer is out of warranty (duh!!!) and that I have to call another number for paid support. Then the automaton says 'Goodbye' and hangs up.  Anybody have a way around this?  A way to speak with a live person at emachines?

I'm certainly not paying money to some service for an activation issue.  This is the original OS on this tower - never been reinstalled (till now). 

Scott H Bowman

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:50 AM

Answers

All replies