CRM 3.0 - Deployment w/ seperate sql server 2005 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Question.....

I wanted to take advantage of sql reporting services now since we have crm in place now and somewhat of a process for the users here, but I'm a little clueless about the sql integration part.

From the info from the implementation guide (3.0) , I set up my server with crm. Sql is on the same server (not sure if it was added in during install or if I installed 2005 on it (don't remember lol)...but it's on the box.

I'd like to use the sql reporting features, but as I go through more and more information online....I'm getting the impression that CRM is suppposed to be installed on (box A) and another box (box B) should have sql on it along with the CRM databases..etc. (???? am I even in the ballpark?)

basically I have another seperate SQL 2005 box now (clean) and my crm 3.0 srv with the databases on that system along with that mysterious copy of sql (that I could have installed to be honest...just dont' remember)

so far all the reports I created were manual excel..

Crm3.0Newbie 

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:02 PM

Answers

• SQL and CRM can be on the same box.  Most move to a different box to ensure optimum performance.  You can create reports in Visual Studio 2005 and then deploy them to your CRM server in version 3.0.  I would start with a simple report, deploy it and work through any issues you encounter.  Here is the link to CRM  3 reporting that should be a good starting point for you. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa645137.aspx

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:36 PM