File Conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

I'm a long time WHS user, since way before PP1. Currently running PP3 with all critical updates. HDD's consist of four 500 GB SATA drives, all of which the storage tab in the console have a healthy status. There is currently 46% storage availability. On the morning February 26 I got a yellow icon in the system trays and the “There are file conflicts” message. Chasing the Network at Risk function on the console indicated there were eight files all located in the same directory in the Public share in conflict. Simple delete through Windows Explorer on one of the clients eliminated the problem down to five that remain.

These five have the following conflicts according the detail received from the console. Two (2) are “Access denied” and three (3) are “The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation”. At that point I found the Lara Jones FAQ on “How do I resolve file conflicts” and followed that post in its entirety, in some cases multiple times.

The system log from the 26<sup>th</sup> of February shows several event ID of 55 against the volume DATA and the mount point c:\fs\5. Running the CHKDSK against these resulted in processing and correcting five unresolved index entries and no other errors were found. In fact I ran CHKDSK with complete surface analysis against all mount points and the system drive without any errors. Attempts to modify file attributes and delete using remote and command line process solved nothing. The files that are marked as access denied are and the files that are marked in not in the correct state were simply unable to change.

Before I go off the deep end and try to file a bug report I wanted to make this post in the hope that someone might have a better idea. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill Perry

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• No one has any other ideas?  Can someone direct me to the procedure for filing a bug report?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:24 PM
  • In some cases simply changing attributes won't be enough. In that case, you may want to take a look at this utility by a Windows Home Server user.

As for filing a bug report, you would do so on Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Thanks for the response Ken.  I agree about the attributes.  Especially when the attrib command cannot get to the files for any changes.  In my case it was either denied access or reported simply as "unable to change".

I looked at the "Clean Up Tool".  Read all the instructions and got hung up on the disclaimers.  It means a lot that you would point to it as a possible solution.  I guess I wasn't sure how effective it might be since it doesn't seem obvious that "file handles" are the problem.  At any rate I will try it and report the results back.

Thanks,

Bill P
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:15 PM
  • The disclaimers are pretty broad, aren't they? :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:42 PM