Who is liable for a OS piracy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a genuine Windows 7 Professional. One of my friend who got his new Laptop (has Windows 7 Home Basic installed) want me to have my copy of Windows 7 Pro disc for installing in his computer. Since his OS is not supporting IIS and SQL server 2005 and buying a genuine copy of W7 Pro will cost him too much as he didn't know about the compatibility of W7 Home Basic while buying it.

Now, my question is, If I give my disc, will I be liable for any kind of piracy? Please advice what is the solution for this?!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:08 AM

Answers

• Lending someone the disk does not constitute piracy.

Giving someone the key for them to install a copy of windows on their machine, while it's already installed on another machine does - and risks the invalidation of both installs.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi there,

If it is only the installer disc. Then you are not liable. but giving your product key to your friend will make you violate the EULA (End User License) as we all know, the general rule is simple... 1 Product key = 1 computer unless you are using a volume or multiple licensing.

another thing. Piracy constitutes illegal distribution or replication of all microsoft products. :) that is what you also need to know

have a nice day i hope i was able to help

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:35 AM

All replies

• Lending someone the disk does not constitute piracy.

Giving someone the key for them to install a copy of windows on their machine, while it's already installed on another machine does - and risks the invalidation of both installs.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi there,

If it is only the installer disc. Then you are not liable. but giving your product key to your friend will make you violate the EULA (End User License) as we all know, the general rule is simple... 1 Product key = 1 computer unless you are using a volume or multiple licensing.

another thing. Piracy constitutes illegal distribution or replication of all microsoft products. :) that is what you also need to know

have a nice day i hope i was able to help

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:35 AM
  • The Windows 7 License Agreement specifically states "You may not rent, lease or lend the software".  Doing so violates the Licensing Agreement and is considered an act of piracy.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:16 PM
  • The Windows 7 License Agreement specifically states "You may not rent, lease or lend the software".  Doing so violates the Licensing Agreement and is considered an act of piracy.
    Carey Frisch

I am not a licensing expert, but I believe that in this context, the quote is referring to the Full funtional software (which includes the Product key and Software).  If you are just giving the disk (and not the Product Key) then it would be ok.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Thanking all of you who replied carefully! 

What if, my friend want to have a trial of the OS before he pays for it. Is there any possibility for doing that?!

Regards

Siva

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:14 AM
  • "SivaPrakasam N" wrote in message news:87e9b346-7811-4ec0-89f1-6b19fe412ec0...

Thanking all of you who replied carefully! 

What if, my friend want to have a trial of the OS before he pays for it. Is there any possibility for doing that?!

Regards

Siva

Sure - the DVD contains its own key, valid for 30 days. This key cannot be activated. If he wants to keep it going after that, then he can buy the same OS edition and type (Pro, Retail/OEM) within the period, and then use the Key from the package to activate it.
    Remind him about the fact that the ONLY place that you can legally buy keys without *accompanying* disks or hardware is MS - and never to buy software from online auction or flea-market sites, only from reputable stores.

HTH

--

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:32 AM