Error 0x80070781 The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system RRS feed

• Question

• I had a disk problem which I resolverd.  Now I have reports of file conflicts.  When I try to delete or over-write them I get the error 0x80070781.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this???

Is there a way to tell which drive these files are on???
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:35 PM

Answers

• Well, I fixed it myself.

I have nine 1TB hard drives on my whs.  One system (C:\, D:\), four data (E:\), two waiting to see where they are needed and two used for server backup.  I had narrowed it down to one of two drives.  I removed the drives one at a time.  Once a drive was removed I looked for the files with the problem and tried to delete them.  If I could I knew I had the removed the bad drive.  If not, I added the drive back and removed the next one until I could delete the problem files.

I tried several thing be doing all of this.  I tried deleting the files, copying over them, restoring them from the backup.  None of that worked.

Surprizingly, removing the drive was able to move the files and allow me to delete them.

All is well and all drives are restored.

Microsoft DOES need to give us a way of identifing the drives.  Does anyone know which sight you can post feature request on?????
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:08 AM

All replies

• Well, I fixed it myself.

I have nine 1TB hard drives on my whs.  One system (C:\, D:\), four data (E:\), two waiting to see where they are needed and two used for server backup.  I had narrowed it down to one of two drives.  I removed the drives one at a time.  Once a drive was removed I looked for the files with the problem and tried to delete them.  If I could I knew I had the removed the bad drive.  If not, I added the drive back and removed the next one until I could delete the problem files.

I tried several thing be doing all of this.  I tried deleting the files, copying over them, restoring them from the backup.  None of that worked.

Surprizingly, removing the drive was able to move the files and allow me to delete them.

All is well and all drives are restored.

Microsoft DOES need to give us a way of identifing the drives.  Does anyone know which sight you can post feature request on?????
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:08 AM
  • I have the same problem, and there must be a way to fix it aside from reinstallation. I have followed the instructions from several other posts, but no go.

My question to you is if you have folder duplication on. I sounds as though you do, since the file showed up in more than one area. Is this the case?

I do not have it enabled, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'm one bad file away from a green icon!
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:59 AM