none
Operating 2 servers on same home network RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else currently operating 2 servers on their home network? If yes I would appreciate responses to exchange information on problems identified and solutions if known. Since installing 2 x Aspire easyStore H340 servers I have encountered different problems which seem connected to the functionality of WHS being based around 1 server per network and 1 port to connect to homeserver.com. Issues encountered so far are 1) Security certificate error 2) anti-virus install problem 3) port forwarding problem 4) WHS Connector problem.  

Thanks 
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• You can't have two home servers on the same network
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Yes, you can have more than one server on your home network, but only one can be configured to support Remote Access. Pick one as the Remote Access host and turn the Remote Access web site off on the other.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Thanks for replying.

Regarding Ken's comment. I take your advice as a workaround and if I understand correctly the issue is as per my previous posts regarding WHS only having the capability to allow port forwarding capability for one server only. Perhaps this is the root cause of the certificate error and the antivirus error both of which are still pointing to the server previously connected remotely to homeserver.com. Regarding the antivirus problem even with server1 turned off McAfee total protection continues to attach warning reports from server1 against server2 and so far I cannot find a way to separately identify server2 to correctly install anti-virus. The web certificate error is in my view the underlying source of the McAfee Total Protection server confusion.

This is not a complaint, simply are recommendation that WHS programmers need to seriously look at homeserver remote connectivity and related issues involving a second server2 as a mirror backup to server1 rather than drive replication. I will likely follow your recommendation regarding having only server1 using remote access but surely it is not beyond the wit of man to incorporate a second server backup into the WHS network. You may wonder why I have 2 servers doing what most people use drive replication for. A simple answer - Acer had an BOGOF offer that provided the second server. Having decided to keep the 2nd server I wrongly assumed that there would be no problem running 2 servers on the same network just the same as up to 10 p/c's can run on the same network. I am no wizard when it comes to networking but if even I can envisage using remote access on 2 servers simultaneously or otherwise then what is stopping the WHS programmers getting on with producing an upgraded WHS system to incorporate?

Monday, December 21, 2009 4:45 AM
    if I understand correctly the issue is as per my previous posts regarding WHS only having the capability to allow port forwarding capability for one server only.

This is a limitation of your router; it's only related to Windows Home Server in that Windows Home Server wants certain ports forwarded for the Remote Access web site to work. Routers are pretty simple beasts (especially consumer routers); They know how to send traffic that comes in on e.g. port 80 to a specific machine inside your LAN but that's about it.

If you want more sophisticated handling of incoming requests, you can forward the ports to a reverse proxy server (Microsoft's ISA is an example), and use that to determine which of several machines should receive a particular incoming request. This is an advanced network configuration, and really is out of scope for these forums.

As for what stops the Windows Home Server development team from fixing this, it's external to Windows Home Server and there is nothing they can do to fix it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:55 PM