Backing Up the System Partition RRS feed

• Question

• During the next few days I plan to put together my home server. These forums have been a great source of information so far.
    I read that installing the OS can take some time, which prompted my question:
    Can the OS partition be backed up using standard imaging software such as Acronis TrueImage, ShadowProtect or Paragon Drive Backup?
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:00 PM

Answers

• Fuzzy John said:

During the next few days I plan to put together my home server. These forums have been a great source of information so far.
    Can the OS partition be backed up using standard imaging software such as Acronis TrueImage, ShadowProtect or Paragon Drive Backup?

In short, no.  The supported repair for an OS problem is Server Reinstallation.  It is a special type of install which wipes the OS partition, but leaves everything else alone.

The reason it won't work is there are a lot of changes that occur while running WHS.  The image you create today will be out of date in a day or two (if you can get it to work at all).
    • Marked as answer by Fuzzy John Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:20 PM
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it can. A number of people have done this when changing their system drive for a larger one.
    However, if you mean to backup and then use that backup as a restore at some time in the future, then no you can't. As soon as the server performs an action, nearly any action, your OS copy will be out of date and lead to possibly multiple errors.
    Once your server is built, there is the Re-Install option provided specifically to just reinstall the OS, while retaining all your data. (Assuming that you have more than one drive, and the server space isn't totally full).

Good luck with the build,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.

All replies

• Fuzzy John said:

During the next few days I plan to put together my home server. These forums have been a great source of information so far.

In short, no.  The supported repair for an OS problem is Server Reinstallation.  It is a special type of install which wipes the OS partition, but leaves everything else alone.

The reason it won't work is there are a lot of changes that occur while running WHS.  The image you create today will be out of date in a day or two (if you can get it to work at all).
  • Hi,

Yes it can. A number of people have done this when changing their system drive for a larger one.
    However, if you mean to backup and then use that backup as a restore at some time in the future, then no you can't. As soon as the server performs an action, nearly any action, your OS copy will be out of date and lead to possibly multiple errors.
    Once your server is built, there is the Re-Install option provided specifically to just reinstall the OS, while retaining all your data. (Assuming that you have more than one drive, and the server space isn't totally full).

Good luck with the build,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
  • Thanks for the clarification.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Thanks Colin. That clarifies it.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:27 PM