Windows XP validation - options & few questions? RRS feed

• Question

• Before I purchase the online Winodws validation key I have a few questions first ... 

1. I am not sure if I am on Widnows XP Professional or Home ... how do I tell, and does the online validaiton tool auto detect and send a key that will work for my operating system?

2. I have 3 computers at my house that all require validation. Am I able to use the same validation key for all 3 or do I have to validate each one w/ a seperate purchase?

3. Not sure if my Micorsoft Office also needs validation. Does the XP validation key automatically validate MS Office as well or is that a seperate purchase all together?

4. If I were to purchase the retail version of either Windows XP or Windows XP Upgrade and reinstall on my computer will it validate my computer automatically on installation?

Thanks in adavance!

Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:43 PM

Answers

•  J_FISH wrote:

Before I purchase the online Winodws validation key I have a few questions first ... 

1. I am not sure if I am on Widnows XP Professional or Home ... how do I tell, and does the online validaiton tool auto detect and send a key that will work for my operating system?

Start>r/c My Computer>Properties.  On the General Tab it will tell you.

The online validation and ordering system will only offer you the opportunity to purchase the same edition of XP that is installed and detcted to be nonegnuine.

J_FISH wrote:
    2. I have 3 computers at my house that all require validation. Am I able to use the same validation key for all 3 or do I have to validate each one w/ a seperate purchase?

No.  One Product Key per installation of XP is required, and these would each be separate purchases.  If you have three computers that are each running nongenine installations of XP, and you have verified with the mgadiag utility that they are indeed nongenuine, then one of your options is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer.  In many but not all cases, the GWO is the most economical method to "Get Genuine."

J_FISH wrote:
    3. Not sure if my Micorsoft Office also needs validation. Does the XP validation key automatically validate MS Office as well or is that a seperate purchase all together?

At this time, the WGA Notification Tool does not determine and report the validity of Office installations to the user.  You can go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en to have your Office installation validated, or you can run the mgadiag utility and look for Office Status to see if it is Genuine (Office status:  100) or Nongenuine (Office status:  114).  At this time there is no Office equivalent to the Genuine Windows Offer for those users who discover that their Office installations are Nongenuine.  The only current remedy is to completely uninstall the installed Office, restart the computer, then acquire and cleanly install a Genuine copy of Microsoft Office.

It is my guess and opinion that it would not take much additional effort on MS's part to implement the WGA system for Office.

J_FISH wrote:
    4. If I were to purchase the retail version of either Windows XP or Windows XP Upgrade and reinstall on my computer will it validate my computer automatically on installation?

As a rule, genuine installations of Windows XP activate and validate with no problems.  A clean installation gives you the best chance of a trouble-free activation and validation experience.  However, the existence of this forum and many of its posts proves that the WGA Validation and Notification system is not perfect.  There are many things, both obscure and obvious, that cause the WGA Validation System to fail or cause a genuine installation of XP to be seen as nongenuine.

J_FISH wrote:
    Thanks in adavance!

You're welcome.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:39 PM

All replies

•  J_FISH wrote:

Before I purchase the online Winodws validation key I have a few questions first ... 

The online validation and ordering system will only offer you the opportunity to purchase the same edition of XP that is installed and detcted to be nonegnuine.

J_FISH wrote:

No.  One Product Key per installation of XP is required, and these would each be separate purchases.  If you have three computers that are each running nongenine installations of XP, and you have verified with the mgadiag utility that they are indeed nongenuine, then one of your options is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer.  In many but not all cases, the GWO is the most economical method to "Get Genuine."

J_FISH wrote:

At this time, the WGA Notification Tool does not determine and report the validity of Office installations to the user.  You can go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en to have your Office installation validated, or you can run the mgadiag utility and look for Office Status to see if it is Genuine (Office status:  100) or Nongenuine (Office status:  114).  At this time there is no Office equivalent to the Genuine Windows Offer for those users who discover that their Office installations are Nongenuine.  The only current remedy is to completely uninstall the installed Office, restart the computer, then acquire and cleanly install a Genuine copy of Microsoft Office.

It is my guess and opinion that it would not take much additional effort on MS's part to implement the WGA system for Office.

J_FISH wrote:

As a rule, genuine installations of Windows XP activate and validate with no problems.  A clean installation gives you the best chance of a trouble-free activation and validation experience.  However, the existence of this forum and many of its posts proves that the WGA Validation and Notification system is not perfect.  There are many things, both obscure and obvious, that cause the WGA Validation System to fail or cause a genuine installation of XP to be seen as nongenuine.

J_FISH wrote:
    Thanks in adavance!

You're welcome.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:39 PM
  • I bought this computor from an individual two and half years ago I am a complete novice never having used computors in my life I am seventy four years of age at the present I cannot afford to buy genuine I did not know anything about it untill you told me. at the present moment I am getting no help from you all I get is pop ups about not being genuine which does not help me. when I can afford to I will , at the present will you stop those pop ups if you cannot help me now.t .

Bill.. 

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:45 PM
  • NESESITO UNA  VALIDASOIN POR EL ECHO QUE MI SYSTEMA NO FUNCIONA MUI BIEN ES ALGO MUI UTIL PARA QUE ESTO FUNCIONE BIEN SI PODRIAN VALIDARLA QUE EL SYSTEMA NO TRABAJA SI EL MICROSOFT.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 9:20 PM
  •  J_FISH wrote:

Thanks in adavance!

Sunday, July 1, 2007 9:22 PM
  •  

massage field is manual
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:23 AM
  •  J_FISH wrote:

Thanks in adavance!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:23 AM
  • massage field is manual

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:24 AM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:
     J_FISH wrote:

J_FISH wrote:

J_FISH wrote:

J_FISH wrote:

J_FISH wrote:
    Thanks in adavance!

You're welcome.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:25 AM