WHS Refresh Storage Backup Drive Size RRS feed

• Question

• I just rebuilt with the refresh version and was wonder if there was a drive size issue. 

I now have 2.5 Tb of data on the WHS.  Do I need to have a drive that will hold all the data or will the pool use multiple drives and backup the data to the combined drives? 

If I remember correctly that is how WHS V1 worked but the first release of WHS V2 required that I have a drive that would hold all the data.

Thanks,

Glenn

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• For backing up your server to external storage, Windows Home Server uses the Server Backup feature from Windows Server 2008. That uses differencing vhds to allow incremental backups, however there's a limit of 2 TB (which I believe is per share) on the amount of data you can back up to a single vhd. You can't automatically span disks with backups, so if you have more than 2 TB of data you will need some sort of hand-crafted solution. This could be as simple as multiple disks with backups configured by hand; everything you need to do it is available from the server desktop.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:50 PM

All replies

• For backing up your server to external storage, Windows Home Server uses the Server Backup feature from Windows Server 2008. That uses differencing vhds to allow incremental backups, however there's a limit of 2 TB (which I believe is per share) on the amount of data you can back up to a single vhd. You can't automatically span disks with backups, so if you have more than 2 TB of data you will need some sort of hand-crafted solution. This could be as simple as multiple disks with backups configured by hand; everything you need to do it is available from the server desktop.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Ken,

That is what I thought since I didn't see anything new in the documentation.  I use the WHS backup for the server, client computers, and selected WHS folders.  I have a wbadmin job that I run throught Task Scheduler to do the other various backups.  I have dual drive cradles that I split the backup between.  It also works good for Disaster Recovery since all I need to do is grab the drives from the cradles and I have all my data.

Thanks for your input.

Glenn

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 5:59 PM