Windows Media Center Edition 2005 Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to resolve an issue brought on at my company by a former employee. We have a piece of software that we use to do textile design and layout. It originally ran on windows 98 only. About a year ago they came out with a new version that required windows xp. This former employee installed a corp copy of XP Pro on one of the machines and a cracked copy of XP MCE2005 on the other two. Recently the WGA notification started popping up. We called our computer support guy and along with some hardware that we will use for spares (3 motherboard bundles w/ hard drives) we purchased two OEM copies of XP MCE2005 and one OEM copy of XP Pro. After talking to a number of very unhelpful microsoft support people I found this website which allowed me to get the tool and update our XP Pro install. But, that tool doesn't work on MCE2005 and when I try to backdoor it by using the msoobe.exe to change it it says my key is invalid.

Is there a different tool that will work with MCE2005? If not, is there some other way to get it to work without a reformat?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Stroud

jeremy.stroud@gmail.com

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:50 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, like switching from Pro to Home, we can't make a tool specific for Media Center Edition. Because MCE mostly has hardware specific drivers (unless you've customized your installation), its hard to make it usable for the the large percent of the consumer base.

You'll have to reinstall.

-phil

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:03 PM

All replies

• You can perform a "repair install" using the new genuine Windows Media Center CDs and Product Key.  The repair install method will request the genuine Product Key.

How to Perform a Repair Install of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm  

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:11 PM
  • Jeremy,

Why on earth would you want to continue to use a cracked copy of Media Center when you already spent the money to get genuine copies?

Aren't you the least bit concerned that the "cracked" copies could have not only been "cracked," but had various rootkits, backdoors, and other software installed that could compromise the security of your business network?

Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:32 AM
  • Mainly Dan....

because with the software we're running it will be a colossal pain in the butt to get everything working again on a clean install. Not to mention the fact that the machine has been running fine for a year without any problems, and its sharing a satellite internet connection so I'm not tooooo worried about hackers.

Jeremy

Saturday, July 22, 2006 4:46 AM
  • Unfortunately, like switching from Pro to Home, we can't make a tool specific for Media Center Edition. Because MCE mostly has hardware specific drivers (unless you've customized your installation), its hard to make it usable for the the large percent of the consumer base.

You'll have to reinstall.

-phil

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:03 PM