Remote Control/System Tool addin RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to see an addin that would allow the remote control of non-windows PC's & devices on your home network. 

For example, using SSH or VNC or a derivative to manage a Linux firewall inside the network without exposing extra ports to the outside.

this would also serve to allow RC of XP Home PCs, which don't have RDP installed.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:13 AM

All replies

• Yes! This is exactly what I'm looking for too! I have (of course) installed Windows XP Home Ed and Vista Home Premium on my computers at home - why would I have bought XP Pro or Vista Business??? The requirement for XP Pro and Vista Business doesn't make sense as this is indeed a HOME server... Also, since the communication to the Home Server is already protected with SSL, there's no need for additional encryption! Now, if only someone would make an add-in, OR the Home Server team would make this happen in the Home Server Client.... Now THAT eould be nice... Smile

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:25 AM
  • To clarify, does remote control not work for a Vista Home Premium PC due to the lack of RDP?

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:57 PM
  •  jebo_4jc wrote:

To clarify, does remote control not work for a Vista Home Premium PC due to the lack of RDP?

Yes thats correct the only OSs that support RDP are: XP Pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise.

Shame they didn't bundle terminal services with Home Premium, especially as they knew WHS was in the pipeline.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:18 AM
  •  almonde wrote:
     jebo_4jc wrote:

To clarify, does remote control not work for a Vista Home Premium PC due to the lack of RDP?

Yes thats correct the only OSs that support RDP are: XP Pro, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Vista Enterprise.

Shame they didn't bundle terminal services with Home Premium, especially as they knew WHS was in the pipeline.

That's truly unfortunate

I was going to get HP for my HTPC, but now it appears it'll cost me $80 more to go with Ultimate. 

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Yes, it really unbelievable.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:27 AM