Windows Home Server Not A Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Someone help me to understand WHS better.  Is it truly not a server in the truest sense of the word? It only serves docs, videos, etc when authenticated by a logged in user. WHS will stream a video but only when logged in and played on the built in player? Apart from scenarios like this the WHS is not really a server but a storage appliance. Is that about the size of it?

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:02 PM

Answers

• "Server" is a term of art. In this context, it refers to the fact that your home server delivers files and data to client applications that make requests for appropriate data, i.e. data the server knows how to deliver, in an appropriate manner, so if the server requires authentication before it will deliver the data requested the request must provide authentication.

Put another way, "storage appliance" is more correctly considered a subset of "server".

So in the end, yes, your home server is a "server". 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• I have had it up running for about 3-4 weeks. Aside from what you mention, advantage is backups and remote access. Remote system management. It is basically like small business server 10 users not 40 without Active Directory. I am not a server guy, but this is my understanding.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:10 PM
  • "Server" is a term of art. In this context, it refers to the fact that your home server delivers files and data to client applications that make requests for appropriate data, i.e. data the server knows how to deliver, in an appropriate manner, so if the server requires authentication before it will deliver the data requested the request must provide authentication.

Put another way, "storage appliance" is more correctly considered a subset of "server".

So in the end, yes, your home server is a "server". 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:14 PM