none
WHS not accessible by network after being moved to another country RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have an Acer EasyStore WHS box, and it has been working beautifully for the last 6 months.

A week ago I went on a trip to the US, and took it with me. Unforutnatelly, when I tried to connect it to the LAN here, it wouldn't boot successfully.

What I know so far:

• There is a red "i" button lit up, indicating an error (I guess).
    • There is LAN connectivity between the WHS and the router (LAN LED blinking on both devices), but the WHS is not asking for an IP Address. My laptop is able to connect successfully to the router and obtain an IP address.
    • The WHS used to work just fine with DHCP back home.
    • There is lots of hard disk activity on the WHS. It's been that way for the last 20 minutes.
    • Resetting the server doesn't help.
    • I tried connecting the WHS box directly to my laptop without a router, without success.
    • Obviously, moving it to another country is irrelevant, unless it somehow got messed up in the process.

The only thing that I can think of to proceed would be to try to recover it using the recovery disk. That is a very undesirable option.

I don't have the option of putting a sniffer and seeing what is the network traffic on the WHS, and why it's not getting an IP address.

There is also the "reset" button on the back of the server, but I am not 100% sure what it is supposed to do and if it could help me.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be checked or done to recover the server?

Thanks,

Arkady

Sunday, April 4, 2010 5:29 AM

All replies

• Did you set a static IP on your Windows Home Server?

Also are you sure all the HD's are seating down correctly?

Is the light on solid red or does it flash repeatable a red/blue colour sequence?

--
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:12 AM
    • Obviously, moving it to another country is irrelevant, unless it somehow got messed up in the process.
    The only thing that I can think of to proceed would be to try to recover it using the recovery disk. That is a very undesirable option.

This, I would bet. An earlier comment about "lots of hard disk activity" may point to a hard drive being damaged in shipping.

Before you go to a recovery option, though, you should check your product documentation to see if Acer has a way to learn more about the exact problem you've got. Or Acer has the user manual available for download.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:36 AM
  • I didn't set a static IP.

I tried to configure the router I have here to use the same IP/subnet as it used back home, but it didn't help.

The hard disks are seated correctly. All four have glowing blue LEDs. I tried disocnnecting one just to check if it would go red, and it did.

The light is solid red.

What is interesting, is that the server starts to load normally. After about 3 minutes of booting (seemingly successfully) it beeps, turns on the red light, and only then proceeds to load the hard disks. IE The hard disks indicators start lighting up immediately after the WHS beeps and turns the "I" LED red.

Lastly, regarding recovery - I tried pressing the reset button during one of the boot sequences; the "I" LED started flashing red, and it wouldn't continue loading. Unfortunately, it still wouldn't take an IP address from the router.

Would that mean that the whole server is gone? I don't see how I could do a recovery if it is not network accessible while in recovery mode.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:14 PM
  • The "I" LED starts glowing red just a second before the server starts loading the hard disks. I highly doubt that they would be the cause of the problem.

I am also facing the networking problem when in recovery mode; I don't think I can perform recovery on the machine.

Thanks for the assistance so far, I'd love to hear any other ideas.

Sunday, April 4, 2010 8:17 PM