Drive Identification Wrong after Reinstall from Changed Motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I did a repair install of WHS because I changed the Motherboard and chip from an Intel Based System to AMD. Everything went smooth, after setting drives to IDE in Bios and yes I used a newly purchased software key.
    I intentionally changed the first boot device from a 750GB WD to a 76GB Raptor, will all the other drives still in the system.
    The 76gb Raptor is now identified as the WD500 and I had to manual add the old boot drive WD500 to the Storage pool.
    THE QUESTION:
    Is there any way to correct the drive reference in the Server Storage Tab of the WHS Console, keeping in mind this is the System Drive?

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:40 PM

Answers

• I did a repair install of WHS because I changed the Motherboard and chip from an Intel Based System to AMD. Everything went smooth, after setting drives to IDE in Bios and yes I used a newly purchased software key.
    I intentionally changed the first boot device from a 750GB WD to a 76GB Raptor, will all the other drives still in the system.
    The 76gb Raptor is now identified as the WD500 and I had to manual add the old boot drive WD500 to the Storage pool.
    THE QUESTION:
    Is there any way to correct the drive reference in the Server Storage Tab of the WHS Console, keeping in mind this is the System Drive?

There is no supported method (other than another Server Reinstallation).  (Also, if you do a Reinstallation, I would suggest you remove the old primary drive from the server completely before doing it and completely removing all partitions on that drive before adding it to the pool.  WHS has problems when you add a drive to the storage pool that used to be the primary drive.)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:25 AM

All replies

THE QUESTION:

There is no supported method (other than another Server Reinstallation).  (Also, if you do a Reinstallation, I would suggest you remove the old primary drive from the server completely before doing it and completely removing all partitions on that drive before adding it to the pool.  WHS has problems when you add a drive to the storage pool that used to be the primary drive.)
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Thanks for your response and expertise.
    I guess I can live with the incorrect drive description.

I keep the Drive in because that was the only way I could get the "Reinstall' option to come up. I did on several occasions try to get the reinstall option with the old primary drive to no avail. I did read on these forums that I should have deleted the 20Gb partition on the primary drive, and still keep all the drives in the system for the reinstall but I didn't want to gamble on that once the 'Reinstall' option was available.

It did take a while and several reboots, for the old primary Drive to show up as a drive after the reinstall was fully completed. Once it did I  added it to the storage pool and it took the whole of the drive eating the old 20gb primary partition.

Now that that is behind me and the Server seems to be working perfectly, can I expect any problems from the old primary drive being in the storage pool in future?
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for your response and expertise.
    I guess I can live with the incorrect drive description.

I keep the Drive in because that was the only way I could get the "Reinstall' option to come up. I did on several occasions try to get the reinstall option with the old primary drive to no avail. I did read on these forums that I should have deleted the 20Gb partition on the primary drive, and still keep all the drives in the system for the reinstall but I didn't want to gamble on that once the 'Reinstall' option was available.

It did take a while and several reboots, for the old primary Drive to show up as a drive after the reinstall was fully completed. Once it did I  added it to the storage pool and it took the whole of the drive eating the old 20gb primary partition.

Now that that is behind me and the Server seems to be working perfectly, can I expect any problems from the old primary drive being in the storage pool in future?

If you can successfully reboot your server one time with the old primary drive attached as a current secondary drive, I wouldn't expect you to have any issues.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:27 AM